UC considers raising tuition again

<p>"The University of California needs to raise tuition by at least 6 percent for the fall, according to the San Francisco Chronicle. System officials expect the hike would cover most of a shortfall, and would stave off more layoffs and cutting programs.</p>

<p>However, the university system, which includes the University of California Davis, still might not be out of hot water, if the state of California budget continues to lag, forcing lawmakers to make further cuts to higher education funding.</p>

<p>The plan to raise tuition will go to regents next week."</p>

<p>Here we go again.</p>

<p>[UC</a> considers raising tuition again - Sacramento Business Journal](<a href=“http://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/blog/morning-roundup/2012/05/uc-considers-raising-tuition-again.html?ana=RSS&s=article_search]UC”>http://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/blog/morning-roundup/2012/05/uc-considers-raising-tuition-again.html?ana=RSS&s=article_search)</p>

<p>figures…</p>

<p>This is EXACTLY why (in addition to several other reasons) my son walked away from the UCs. I knew this would happen. They have threatened 6-16% hikes, capriciously, any time they wish, into perpetuity. The Regents have no allegiance to alumni, to the community, to anything. Private universities simply cannot get away with this sort of nonsense. With around 57% graduation rates in 4 years, the UCs have become the WORST place for your child to attend. Period.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>The Regents are political appointees and politicians – the same people who (supposedly) “lead” this dysfunctional state. Anyone thinking that it will improve in the short-term is living in dream land. </p>

<p>btw: expect to see a lot of these types of announcements/scare tactics in the next few months as the Governor tries to garner support for his tax increase.</p>

<p>There seems to be a myth that most students who would have gone to a UC can get a better deal out of state. This may be true for families qualifying for financial aid, but it is most often not true for a full pay family. Some top stat students will get merit offers everywhere they apply-that’s the purpose of merit offers. However the merely acceptable full pay students will get little or nothing offered to offset the cost of OOS or private school tuition. There is a thread on CC (can’t find it now) in which people have calculated the percentage of non-need students who are offered merit aid, and at most schools the percentage is 30% or lower. Here is the data from USNWR:</p>

<p>[Most</a> Students Receiving Merit Aid | Rankings | US News](<a href=“http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/most-merit-aid]Most”>http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/most-merit-aid)</p>

<p>Unless you want to go to Briar Cliff University in Sioux City, chances are much greater than 50% that you will not be getting any break in tuition. So the $13,000 we pay for one of our top 10 nationally ranked public universities still seems like a good deal. Heck, even $20,000 seems like a good deal compared to the $42k or more charged by private schools. </p>

<p>Poor graduation rates for UC are correlated to enrollment of a high percentage of first generation and low income students, not to an inability to obtain needed classes. Please read here for some factual analysis:
[University</a> of California - Accountability Report - UC as an Engine of Social Mobility: Successes, Challenges and Concerns](<a href=“http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/accountability/essay.html]University”>http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/accountability/essay.html)</p>

<p>I hope the hysterics do prompt the people of CA to refund the system. And if your valedictorian or otherwise top student has a full ride out of state, congratulations! But for many full pay families UC is still the best option available.</p>

<p>Here’s the CC merit aid thread:
<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/696637-merit-aid-percentage-common-data-set.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/696637-merit-aid-percentage-common-data-set.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>

</p>

<p>It’s not really a myth, however, since “most” students who attend UC do qualify for need-based aid at a private college. Full pay at UC (COA = $30k) is different than full-pay at a private (COA = $60k). (commuters excepted…and don’t forget, that UC has extremely high Room and Board rates.)</p>

<p>yes, but that UC cost of attendance u just cited is inclusive of room and board. so anyway…</p>

<p>momsquad: thank you.</p>

<p>i’m curious about that line “…the university system, which includes uc davis…”. huh? do readers of the chronicle need a reminder that davis is part of the uc system?? lol</p>

<p>I have to agree with momsquad. We are one of those middle-class families who do not qualify for financial aid but neither can we afford full tuition. My child applied to out-of-state schools that she liked with USNWR rank b/w 30 to 55. The merit aid offered from those schools ranged from $8k to $20k. That means we still needed to cough up additional funds ranging b/w $8k to $20k in order to match the UC cost. </p>

<p>For us really we have no choice. While a private will increase only 3-4% ([The</a> Real Cost of Higher Education](<a href=“The Real Cost of Higher Education”>The Real Cost of Higher Education)) compared to a UC’s probable increase of 6%, a private university’s tuitions is still 3x a UC tuition.</p>

<p>Such a pertinent topic to read on the day my poor D is scheduled to register. I have been helping each time because there is such a scramble to find classes- this process takes hours. Then there is trying to get settled on whether a class has changed its name or not, trying to find classes that will work around her sports practice (no priority registration for her, though may not be case at all UC’s). So she got into two classes, then in another week she can try for a third. So maybe something will open up. Hopefully it will be something she is actually interested in or needs.</p>

<p>My son went to a private school (graduating in a few weeks). He did go to a college where he was a big fish in the pond so he could get maximum merit aid but that was mostly because he wanted to attend a small school. Worked out for him- though must say that some of what made the private school special (eg.hold classes even with small enrollment) have gone by the wayside as they struggle with their own economic realities. </p>

<p>I pooh poohed people who claimed UC/CSU classes were impossible to get. Now that my D is in situation I see the truth. There is a lot of work to get what you need, or close. Paying around $8K (full pay) every quarter stinks. It makes me resentful of the amount of student financial aid there is. But I don’t know if that aid is grant or loan. But maybe more students will heavy need ought to fulfill first years at a state college instead to save state $$. Ironic, I went to college myself on heavy need back in the day but college didn’t cost so much relative to what it costs now, and I did have some debt. We did start saving for college for both kids at their birth so no financial aid needed for them.</p>

<p>Anyhow, I’m feeling a bit that UC’s are an overpriced commodity, banking on a reputation that is more likely built at the grad level, and less so with the undergrad offerings. For now, D likes ‘experience’, so trying to focus on that.</p>

<p>^ i’m not sure what you’re trying to say. why are you “resentful” of the amount of financial aid offered? </p>

<p>as to priority registration, that’s something that would have been made known to your daughter before (or very shortly after) she decided to attend whatever campus she’s going to. it shouldn’t have been a surprise that your daughter didn’t receive it, as not every student does.</p>

<p>Is this really news anymore? They’re always considering raising tuition.</p>