***** uc davis class of 2021 applicant thread *****

Is Davis the only UC that has not sent out any communications since acknowledging receipt of the application?

@lkg4answers Looked at my email, last email they sent was Jan. 24. I might have deleted one sent recently, but I think Jan. 24 was the last email they sent. The email just talks about campus life.

Chance me for UC Davis please:

Major: Genetics & Genomics
UC GPA: 4.13 (Mostly straight A’s in 10-11th, got 2 B’s in the second semester of Junior Year because of an extreme family circumstance explained in UC App)
SAT: 1110/1600
ACT: 23/36

Super Small High school, In the top 9% of my class. took the only AP Course offered on Campus: APUSH &was one of 6 students who passed the test. I’ve taken a lot of classes at the local community college and I’ve passed all of them with A’s & B’s. Consistently taken the most challenging classes available to me. Senior Year classes are the most rigorous available.

Test scores are average, but hoping that my Extra Curriculars make up for it:
-Founder/President of the American Red Cross Club (11th/12th)
-Captain of the Robotics Team (10th-12th)
-Member of committee for a leadership program at UC Berkeley
-200 Hours of community Service
-Won the Science Fair (Excellence in Life Science)
-Outreach in Communities for Relationships and Action (OCRA) club member/event coordinator
-Played for School’s Soccer team (9th/10th)
-Student Ambassador for School

All the people that read my essays said that they were really good. Wrote about my lived experience as a Muslim and how Islamophobia has influenced my dedication to my education. Also wrote about my leadership on the Robotics team, and how I fund raised over $1,000 for my team. Also wrote about how I coordinated a blood drive on my school’s campus through the ARC Club that I started.

If I got all A’s in a ton of AP’s and a community college course should I update my senior year grades
Like are they even considered at this point?

@emli8100: It may not help this late in the admission process, but definitely could not hurt.

Extracurriculars are good, but test scores are low, I would say it’s a high match.

Davis appointed a new chancellor this week? https://www.ucdavis.edu/news/regents-confirm-gary-may-chancellor

@lkg4answers seems trusworthy

Does anyone know when divisions will be released?

@parent8768 I heard that they could be coming out on the 10th but I might be wrong

What do you guys think about the people who say UC Davis is a backup? The acceptance rate for California residents is 60%, if I remember correctly.

It looks like the 60% acceptance is for transfer students
https://www.ucdavis.edu/admissions/

for incoming freshman it’s closer to 40%.

I think it’s good to have backup(s). It would mean yield would be lower if those applicants get into their first choice elsewhere.

@JuicyMango: Most people that consider UC Davis as a backup really do not know how competitive many of the majors can be at the Mid-Tier UC’s and this includes UCSB and UCI

2016 data:
Admit rate — Overall: 42.3%
Admits: 28,971

California Residents (% of admits): 64.2%

Many people think Davis is easier to get into but a lot of the science majors, and especially Agriculture and Veterinary Science Majors are extremely difficult to get into because Davis is one of the few schools with those programs and really strong programs at that.

8 more days till Davis decisions are released?

@Gumbymom err ummm wrong mango :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry, @JuicyMango: Good Luck either way…

Can someone chance me
Desired major: Mechanical Engineering
3.85 u/w 4.0 w. In-state
ACT 29
3 years in leadership, 2 years of sports, 200+ hours of volunteer work, 16+ hours of work each week. Strong essays about tough family situation and motivation for my college education. Also recently started my own business that gives most proceeds to charity.

@Jkuli13 your GPA is pretty good (not incredible) and your ACT scores are pretty good but also not great considering your major. It helps that you’re in state. I would say either accept or waitlist.