**uc davis class of 2025 discussion**

Now that the UC application submission filing period has opened, I have posted a thread for discussions regarding the UC campuses. Please post any questions of interest in regards to the specific UC campuses and the UC application process.

Best of luck to all.

1 Like

My son applied to several UCs + Cal Poly and put in the time to really understand his chances at each. However, I believe UC going test blind will hurt his chances.

Briefly

GPA UW 3.69, W 4.49, UC WC 3.85 CP WC 3.90
SAT 1430
EC A LOT, Voluteer, and employment with leadership experience, 4 years cross country, 3 years lacrosse, 1 year track,
AP scholar
Class rank: 37 of 550

His reaches: UCLA, CAL, Cal Poly
Targets: Davis, Santa Barbara
Safety: Santa Cruz

He’s applied and already been accepted at U of Oregon and U of Arizona.

Waiting on U of Washington

I’m wondering if he should apply to a few privates. I felt like he’d get into at least a couple UCs when he applied but with SAT blind I’m now concerned. Does he still have a good shot at Davis?

His chances will be major dependent for UCD (Engineering/CS/Biology are very competitive). His stats put him within range but Capped weighted is below the 25th percentile.

Having a few more school options especially in this very unpredictable admission year cannot hurt.

2019 Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 3.80-4.19 capped weighted and not major specific:
UCD: 47%

**2020 UC capped weighted GPA averages along with 25th-75th percentile range: **
UCD: 4.11 (3.97-4.25)

Thanks for the quick reply. He applied as Biochemistry at Davis with a second choice of Pharmaceutical Chemistry. Just hoping he lands an affordable option. U of Oregon, Arizona and Washington are very pricey even with substantial merit aid. I sure wish they hadn’t gone test blind …oh well.

Another question will UCs be looking at academic rigor beyond their weighted capped calculation? He has 26 semesters of Honors/AP only 8 appear to be considered. This year might they consider that?

@nucities: The UC’s will look at all 3 UC GPA’s so the fully weighted UC GPA and HS course rigor are very important in the admission process (not just this year). Unfortunately, the UC’s other than UCB and UCLA do not list statistical admit data for the Fully weighted UC GPA so that is why I posted the Capped Weighted UC GPA data for comparison.

Other than test scores, the application review criteria should be the same but each campus weighs the criteria differently. UCD tends to emphasize “fit” in their decisions based all the listed criteria.

https://www.ucdavis.edu/admissions/undergraduate/apply/application-review-criteria

@Gumbymom thanks again for this information, really helpful.

1 Like

@nucities if you are looking for a cost effective school with a football team and college community, you might consider sending his application to SDSU.

Solid selection @lkg4answers. We’d absolutely consider that if we didn’t live right next door ;). He wants to leave town for college.

@nucities Ahh, that explains why UCSD isn’t on his list either. How about UCI? Still too close to home? Is he thinking premed? If so, he might look at UCR.

When do people usually tend to get a notification that your application has been received by each individual UC/portal set up info? So far I’ve gotten from UCI and Cal but nothing from the other 4… do they wait until late December/Jan to do this or should I be concerned?

Each campus has their own timeline so it could be December/January for the rest of the campuses. Just make sure to check your Spam/Junk email just in case.

1 Like

Son has applied to SLO, SDSU, UCLA, Cal, UCSB and UCD and has been accepted at UofA, ASU and Alabama.
UCD Major Managerial Econ. Unweighted 4.0/ capped weighted 4.23.
6 AP classes
UofA and ASU are with merit so are good back up plans but he really hopes to stay in CA.
Good luck to everyone!

3 Likes

Applied to UC Davis.
Stats: 3.92 UW/4.17 W Capped/4.71 W noncapped
11 Total AP Classes
ELC
Have decent ECs and good essays.

Hope for the best :smiley:

1 Like

S applied
Physics major
3.97 uw; 4.39 w and capped uw
Ok ECs
Good essays
11 honors/AP classes
Top 5% at good public high school in CA

My H and I went to Davis and loved it!

1 Like

My daughter received an email from UCD this week with portal access info. Nothing yet from UCSB, so I assume they’re on a later timeline.

My son hasn’t received portal info for any of the UCs. I’ve been reading that some UCs have sent them, but he hasn’t received them. He has checked his spam folder too, though only recently.

My son got his portal login for UC Irvine and Berkeley about a week after he submitted. He also got a link from Cal Poly SLO. That’s about it from the CA public schools. He also applied to UC Davis, SB, LA, and SD.

Any reason why some kids get their portals to some schools before others. Seems it’s random when portals are sent out even though UCs and cal states go out as one. My son got an email from Berkeley and Davis but no other UC’s for portal set ups . Got many state school requests including SDSU but no SLO. Any insight as to why or is it all random?

I’ve gotten mine for Berkeley/Davis, and gotten confirmation email from UCI.