**uc davis class of 2025 discussion**

I think that may help you. It may really come into play if you are on the waitlist.

Please understand what NEED BLIND means.
It DOES NOT mean that they have tons of money to give out.

It means that when they read your application for admission, they donā€™t look at whether or not you can pay the bill. [b]They only look at your academic record.[/b]
They are BLIND to your income/NEED.

The financial aid department (usually in a different office or building) looks at your FAFSA application and doesnā€™t know if you will be accepted.
Their job is to prepare a packet of information for each person who has asked for financial aid. As a non-resident, you wouldnā€™t qualify for any California state funding.

Davis looks at FIT, FIT, FIT. My daughter attended Davis and LOVED it!
When you walk around their campus, in a normal year, you see students who look really happy. They have smiles on their faces. They stop to help freshman who are having problems with their bike tires. Students bike into town and are outdoors a lot. Itā€™s a very ā€œgreenā€ and healthy campus. They have water stops to refill your water bottle on your bike.

I wish you all good luck! If you have the opportunity to attend, you will love being there for 4 years!

2 Likes

So your parents are able to pay full fees at any of the UCā€™s at $65K/year? As an OOS student, you are going to get no financial aid from the UCā€™s or SLO.

@BaileeJA. You realize that you can only take out a total of $27K over 4 years as an Undegrad student. Tuition/fees alone is $14,100 and you can only take out $5500 as a Freshman, $6500 as a Sophomore and $7500 as a Junior/Senior. Are your parents willing to help you out by taking Parent plus loans or do you have significant savings to help fund your education?

1 Like

I already have an Associateā€™s so my two years are going to transfer with me. At least most of them. Then I will pull out loans for the other two years. So one year will be covered by pulling out loans. I can sport the rest for my senior year.

Because I am a dependent, I can qualify for a significant amount of Parent plus loans, if need be. I have a full-ride awaiting at Ohio State, but I am hoping for a Regents at Davis in order for me to attend.

Parent plus loans are taken out by your parents and they are ones liable for paying them back. Since you stated your family is not helping then I figured they would not be taking out the loans on your behalf.

2 Likes

Regents scholarships are very competitive and, given the pandemic year weā€™ve had, they will probably limit the amount of awards available. You need to have cash availability. Housing and incidentals are going to be expensive. If your parents arenā€™t willing to contribute, or sign for a parent plus loan, which they have to pay off, you are going to be stuck.

Did anybody figure out whether there was a rejection wave last night? Or we agree that probably wasnā€™t true?

not really a wave if its just one personā€™s secondhand claim so yeah probably bogus

4 Likes

@BaileeJA If you donā€™t qualify for financial aid regents offers a small base award of 2k if I recall. If you are instate and qualify for more aid (parents EFC is low) then you will get more money. Oos does not get the large regents need based aid. Someone correct me if Iā€™m wrong since davis may be different than UCLA.

Also for OOS students no aid if you get any, will cover the OOS supplemental tuition Portion. Be prepared to pay as OOS. No way around that unfortunately

1 Like

@BaileeJA and @10s4life: Regents at UC Davis is an award of $7500/year. No financial need means that is the maximum amount awarded. If @BaileeJA adds the Federal student loan to this amount, this would barely cover tuition at UCD.

@BaileeJA: Is UCD within commuting distance?

Yes they are! Iā€™m very lucky in that regard

do yall think decisions will be out tmr on Monday

UCSB is Tues, so davis would be before or does davis typically come out after UCSB

I believe UC Santa Cruz will release decisions on Monday. UC Santa Barbara is scheduled for Tuesday. Iā€™m not sure if this has any effect on Davisā€™s release date, but Iā€™d imagine it coming out later in the week.

3 Likes

UCD has typically come out already- this past Friday would have been aligned with past yearsā€™ notification day- but they sent out social media posts late last week saying they were waiting until later, like this week or next.

Iā€™m thinking ucsc tomorrow, ucsb Tuesday, ucsd, Wednesday, Davis Thursday, Ucla Friday and Berkeley I think they said the 25th.

9 Likes

What scholarship gave you a ā€œfull rideā€ at Ohio State? You would have had to have received an Eminence or Morrill and those decisions are still not yet final. ROTC Type 1?

ucsc just came out! not sure if this means that no other UCā€™s will be coming out today

1 Like