UC Davis Class of 2027 Official Thread

Yes. It was a letter of acceptance.

1 Like

Letter of acceptance and stickers!! Don’t forget the stickers! :joy:. Sticker spoiler—My favorite is the cow riding the bicycle.

6 Likes

Yes! Super cute! My daughter put them on her laptop :rofl:.

3 Likes

We were originally signed up for Aggie day but then my son received an acceptance from UCSD so he wants to do the Triton Day. We booked an admitted student tour at Davis instead but wondering if the picnic day would be better. My only concern with the picnic was that it seemed more geared towards the community and I wasn’t sure it would give him the best feel of what it would be like as a student at Davis. Which do you think would be better?

An admitted student tour would be fine but I would avoid visiting until April. Finals are next week and the following week is spring break. Classes start again on April 3. UCSD is on the same schedule.

3 Likes

We plan to visit April 6th :slight_smile:

1 Like

We are in the same position as you (planned to go to Aggie day, now planning for Triton day). We also booked a UCD admitted student visit during the first week of April. I think it’s a good plan!

If you liked it on the admitted student tour, you can plan on going to Picnic Day too! I agree it is more community focused (so I wouldn’t rely on it as your only “tour”), but if you have not been to a Picnic Day before, it is a lot of fun. And you will get to see more sides of UCD, compared to just going to the admitted student visit.

2 Likes

I think an admitted student tour would be better than picnic day, which is more of an open house for the community.

1 Like

These are the reasons that my daughter is choosing Davis. Well said!

3 Likes

I concur with this, and agree that SLO battles Cal Poly too. Like the SLO restrictions on party noise after 9 pm which means the students go inside their hot stuffy college hovels to party with the windows slammed shut–miserable!–instead of partying in their backyards in the glorious balmy Central Coast weather. But SLO doesn’t battle the university as badly as Berkeley battles UC Berkeley. I can’t believe that the city won’t let Cal build badly needed student housing even on the property they’ve already owned for decades (Peoples Park, unsafe and ugly now and filled with homeless druggies).

3 Likes

delete

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: UC Davis Freshman Class of 2027 Waitlist/Appeal Thread

@gumbymom does UCDavis gives admission direct to capped majors or is it pre major.
for CS or engineering in ucdavis do you get admission directly or have to maintain certain gpa to declare major?
thanks

For Engineering/CS you are direct admit into the major at UCD.

2 Likes

@nkini2001 My child is also agonizing between the two programs and I posted in the FB groups asking questions. Looking forward to visiting both and hoping when he is walking around, he will look around and feel like one is more his vibe. You can’t go wrong at any of the UC schools!

There is one large UC Davis Parent FB group. The admin is a parent of a former student, not Humans of University. There are also several regional groups. My recommendation is to start with the large group and, if your student commits, you can look into whether or not there is a regional group for where you live.

UC Davis Parents Facebook

4 Likes

My son had the same choice last year and chose Davis. He deferred so he could live as an exchange student in Latin America and Davis accepted his deferment. He was torn but ultimately wanted his gap year. He was also concerned about UCSD’s reputation as being cut throat and socially dead. The gap year has helped him hone his major as he is currently taking engineering university classes in Argentina. He is looking forward to starting this fall!

If he wants a gap year Davis seems to be the only option. We live in South Bay Area and coming home from Davis is very doable, my kid in Davis comes home almost every weekends, excepts 4 weekends in 2 quarters. He is also engineering major. Our other kid in UCSD only comes home during Christmas and summer when the break is longer. He didn’t come home for thanksgiving because finals is normally in early December and he didn’t want to stress himself out by traveling, and Christmas break is about 2 weeks after thanksgiving. He uses his spring break to explore other part in south cal.

I am from SoCal near Anaheim. My dad and I are planning to attend Aggie Day on April 8th. I’ve heard from others that the Amtrak train is popular among students. I admit that I’ve never taken a train before. Anyone here knows how this works? Any cheap place we can stay for the night? Thank you!

No direct route from Southern California to Davis on the Amtrak and about a 13 hour trip.

The quickest way is to fly from Southern California to Sacramento. Southwest Airlines have several flights.

For less expensive hotels, you could stay near the train station in Sacramento and then take the Amtrak to Davis from there using the Capitol Corridor route.

I have no specific suggestions for hotels in Sacramento but here are some hotels near the Sacramento Train Station.

4 Likes