UC Davis Class of 2027 Official Thread

I would like to say, free bus is only for undergraduate students with ID, because it is included in their campus fee. Graduate students, on the other hand, are not charged with that fee so they cannot ride the bus for free.

2 Likes

+1. My 2025 D did the same (turn down UCLA for UCD Regents and University Honors Program). These also give you early registration so you get first dibs at classes and professors. UHP classes are capped at 25 students (you can take up to 2 every quarter your first two years). Tons of research opportunities available, many of them paid. The Mondavi Center has plenty of big city type performances ( [Itzhak Perlman, Los Lobos etc). Very safe environment. Close enough to San Fran if you want to get to the city. Most professors care about teaching. It is demanding and competitive, but plenty of help available. She had 4 advisors in her freshman year (overall, major, UHP and peer) so plenty of people to guide you if you need that kind of support. Plus yes, housing costs off campus are 50% of other UCs and even Cal Poly. Having said that, it is a small town though Sacramento is not too far away. Amtrak makes it easy to get to the Bay Area if you do not want to drive.

7 Likes

She really is which has come at a great relief lol:)
Wishing all of you the best of luck for decision day - I know this time is fraught!

1 Like

My D did not have that many advisors. The UHP program is taxing on stem majors - as it forces you to overload on quarter units. As far as pay for research, it’s far and few, so far. More likely to get that over the summer. But will say that compared to UCSD/LA/UCB - your kid is more likely to get the right kind of research. But, it’s competitive. Mine went outside to get the experience first - and that got her ahead of 75 other applicants. Super important if you’re headed for grad or med school.

1 Like

Casual advice - many parents send their kids 3000 miles away. The distance can be expensive! Also, if something happens or your kid gets sick, there is little you can do - as you are a full day away. So you have to factor all that into the costs. Also, OOS students are less likely to take advantage of cheaper off campus housing versus local students.

Ours turned down the best Biomed program in US for two reasons: very little aid and substantial distance.

2 Likes

Almost everyone is down on applications (Except for the status schools). What is more important is how many students applied for a particular impacted major. Acceptances for those hover in the low single digits.

2 Likes

Her experience was different, she got to pick from many opportunities (and picked one that fit her research interests and career goals, with a PI who is a national figure in her field but who could not pay her. She also was able to land her a very well paying summer internship with a hot startup plus interviews with researchers at national labs). We are very impressed by how straightforward it has been to land some of these opportunities, her friends have had similar experiences.

1 Like

My child’s research experience was also different. He reached out to a handful of professors, all responded. Some wanted him working with their PhD students and others had him working directly under the professor. He chose the one that he felt was the best fit. However, he was not paid. He received units which helped move him to a better gain a better pass time to register for classes.

2 Likes

Forum Champions, This link says that UC Davis decisions may likely come on March 3 or 10.
Is there any chance it could come on March 3rd? Do you see any indications of it on the campus? Can you please advise

UC Freshman Admission - Application Timeline | Ask Ms. Sun’%20decision%20dates

Last year’s decisions posted on March 11 so I would say March 10 is more likely than March 3. UCD historically posts decisions Mid-March.

6 Likes

I know that the decisions in 2021 (when my son was applying) came on March 18th. So March 3 seems like a real (and doubtful) stretch.

1 Like

@AAJ724

I double majored at Davis and triple minored. It is not hard to add a major in terms of the process as long as the new major is not impacted. It is easier if it is in your same college. The challenge is scheduling of courses, being able to register for classes that may be required or are popular, etc. In that case wanting to double major can cost you extra semesters (depending on schedules). It is up to the student to manage any extra stress that occurs. If the majors are two different colleges the challenge may be two different processes, etc., but can be worked out. I was a transfer student so my undergrad GE was done and I worked full time with a family so I was driven to do all this attending each summer session, taking 20 units a term, and even studied abroad twice with UC Davis. A good key beside the obvious extra studies, commitment, etc is getting into the course catalog and scheduling ahead of time to map out your quarters well in advance and then have all the paperwork done well in advance, have all the course codes known well in advance for registration day, etc. Take advantage of any double-dipping scenarios that may arise. I would also take the writing exam to clear an English course and I would befriend a couple professors in each major preferably department chairs and make sure they know who you are in case you need a permission to add a course to make it all work or to put in a good work if you are asking for an exception, etc. For example, I took a grad level economics course as an undergrad by getting permission from the professor of the course…

Hope that helps!

6 Likes

Very helpful, thank you!

This is one of my top choices, I really hope I can get in :melting_face:

6 Likes

Is the Decision going to roll out today?

Davis doesn’t roll out decisions. It is usually the 2nd week for Davis. Last year it was March 11.

4 Likes

It would be after 3/4pm on whatever date they decided to release the decisions.

1 Like

I am from VA and my D22 was choosing between UCD and UW Seattle. One thing that both schools have going for them is close proximity to a major airport. I have friends that their kids are going to schools closer to VA- but when you account for the travel to get to a major airport- it is actually cheaper and faster to get her home than expected. You do have to shell out for a hotel when you go to visit them- but I love the excuse to get away from the daily schedule for a bit. I am watching this feed closely because I really want my S24 to chose Davis- even though it is far.

3 Likes

I applied to a handful of UCs, including Davis, in late October. I just realized I never received an email from UCD acknowledging my application with instructions on how to set up an account on their admissions portal. Did others receive a standard welcome email? There was a 10 day period back in early December where my gmail account memory was full and it didn’t accept incoming emails so I fear I missed one from UCD. I can check with the admissions office but I’m asking here in case you all know the standard practice at Davis. Thanks.

2 Likes