UC Davis Class of 2028 Official Thread

Welcome prospective Aggies. It’s that time of year again as the UC application has now opened and submission starts October 1 through November 30 for this admissions cycle. I am @Gumbymom one of the two UC Forum Champions/Moderators. My Co-Forum Champion is @lkg4answers and we are knowledgeable on the increasingly complicated UC admissions process and hopefully we can help any prospective UC applicants with their questions. We both have students that have attended UC Davis so please utilize our knowledge of the campus by posting your questions here.

UC Davis like all the UC’s are test blind and will use 13 areas of criteria to review Freshman applicants. Each campus will weight the various areas of criteria differently so one size does not fit all. The UC application website has plenty of information that can help determine if UC Davis is a good option when applying.

https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/how-to-apply/applying-as-a-freshman/how-applications-are-reviewed.html

https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/campuses-majors/davis/freshman-admit-data.html

UC Davis – 17 Feb 21

Below is some admit information specific to the school.

Application review:

• Very important : Academic GPA, Personal Insight questions, Rigor of secondary school record
  • Important : Character/personal qualities, Extracurricular activities, Talent/ability, Volunteer work
  • Considered : First generation college student, Geographical residence, State residency, Work experience
  • Note : Scholastic achievement most important, followed by school and community activities, academic interests, special circumstances, special achievements and awards

Admission decisions are made based upon the qualifications of the applicant pool and the number of available spaces within each academic area:

• College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences admits by college

• College of Biological Sciences admits by college

• College of Letters and Science admits by division within the college
(Humanities, Arts and Cultural Studies; Mathematics and Physical Sciences; Social Sciences)

• College of Engineering admits by major.
Note that the Computer Science major is now housed in the College of Engineering for 2024 applicants. Computer Science

https://cs.ucdavis.edu/cs-move-college-engineering-faq

Students applying as “undeclared” or “undeclared/exploratory” are considered within the college/division to which they applied.

Applicants are encouraged to list an alternate major but not in the same area as the primary major. Admission to an alternate major is considered occasionally.

Best of luck to all applicants.

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/t/uc-davis-class-of-2027-official-thread/

2 Likes

Hi! Quick question(s): My daughter was offered a scholarship to play a sport there. Is the application process similar to others that are not playing a sport? Is the PIQ still necessary?
Thanks for any and all insight.

I would check with the coach that is recruiting her, but as far as I know, she would have to apply like all the regular applicants using the UC application and including 4 PIQ questions to answer.

1 Like

Yes, in order to get the scholarship, she must apply and be accepted (although I imagine the acceptance has essentially been guaranteed as a sports recruit - has the coach indicated that?). And PIQs are required of all applicants.

1 Like

Thanks for the fast reply!

Have not asked the coach yet but will have a chance in a couple of weeks.

Yes, definitely speak with the coach prior to submitting the application. He/she should help guide you through the process.

1 Like

Some updates for UC Davis from the UC Counselor conference:
Middle 50% Unweighted UC GPA for admitted Freshman 2023: 3.82-4.00
Middle 50% for UC capped weighted GPA: 4.03-4.21

Selective majors for Freshman:
Design
Computer Science
Computer Science and Engineering
Mechanical Engineering
Psychology

For prospective students campus tours: Visit | UC Davis

New Rankings:

Behind UCLA, Harvard and Yale, UC Davis is the 4th most Instagramable campus in the US! :camera_flash: