UC Davis CSE vs UCSD Undeclared

Hey folks,
So I need advice as to where I should commit to a college.
I got into UCD as a CSE major with 25% scholarship,
I got into UCSD as an undeclared major with no scholarship.
So I spoke to UCSD regarding switching to CS and it seems that the process is very difficult and it is highly unlikely that I will get to switch to CS.
Money isn’t really an issue but I am really concerned about the major.
Can someone please help me out?

If you want the CSE major, commit to Davis. Your odds of success in switching into CS at UCSD are very very very low. Why put yourself in that position? Davis is a great school with great quality of life; you got into your major; AND you got a nice scholarship. Congratulations!

However, I really want to go to grad school at one of the top engg schools, will a davis degree hurt my chances?

Why would a degree from Davis hurt your chances?

I guess cause it is not as highly ranked for cs (it is around 30 - i believe) so i feel when i do apply for grad school it will be considered that i am not that great a candidate

There’s not a great deal of difference between the 2. UCSD is generally ranked higher for CS, but not that much higher.

Your grades and research activities at UCD will determine your chance to go to a graduate school.
Also, many CSE majors change their mind about graduate school in the end because they want to work right away with a BS degree.

Could i send in an appeal/request for them to ucsd to change my major to cs?

@akcha1801: No you cannot change your major to CS by appeal or request. You need to actually attend UCSD, take the required Pre-req courses, meet the GPA requirement and get selected from the lottery. Go with the direct admit at UCD.

Below is the link about changing majors:

https://cse.ucsd.edu/undergraduate/cse-capped-major-status