UC Davis Freshman Class of 2026 Discussion

Try to follow through with accounting and see if they can get you through to a live person in housing.

For the record, @lkg4answers is a GENIUS!!! I called accounting, they confirmed the payment was there, AND they were able to transfer me to a live person in housing!!! Housing confirmed that everything is complete for us and the message was a generic one to all students on May 1 who had not yet completed the application. Thank you so much! Relieved…

7 Likes

Whew! Glad it worked.

4 Likes

10 posts were merged into an existing topic: UC Davis Freshman Class of 2026 Waitlist/Appeal Discussion

Since we just got off the waitlist, we didn’t get to go to the admitted students day, and we can’t get in to do an official tour until later in May or June (we’ve been to Davis and have done our own walk around tour).

Can anyone give some insight into housing? There seems like … a lot. Many options. We will be starting the housing application today. Seems like there aren’t specific ‘freshman only’ dorms? Are there clear preferences? Are we behind the 8 ball here starting this several days past the main SIR day? Any info you’ve learned would be great!!

(I am looking at all the online info on the UC Davis webpage)

I do think he’s interested in the living learning community – sustainable aggies, which is Shasta Hall, but will take any info you’ve got!

1 Like

Also, silly question but do waitlisted students get whatever package of stickers etc everyone else was talking about with the original acceptances?

2 Likes

Majority of the residential housing dorms in Tecero, Segundo and Cuarto areas are Freshman only. Transfers are being placed in on-campus apartment housing and 2nd years are usually in the on-campus apartments and sometimes they are placed in some of the Residential dorms on a limited basis. After Freshman year, most students will move to off campus apartments. My older son lived in the Segundo area his first year and lived in the Cuarto area community his 2nd year.

Cuarto where the new Shasta, Tahoe and Yosemite Halls now reside are actually slightly off campus. They are catty corner from the Northwest corner of the UCD main campus (Segundo area) and across the street from Trader Joe’s and a small shopping area. If he is interested in an LLC, then Shasta is a good option. They have since renovated the Cuarto area since my son lived there, but their dining commons was the smallest of the commons dining halls.

Segundo is found in the Northwest corner of campus and has the oldest residential dorms with most having the standard dorm configuration with a main hallway and shared communal bathrooms. Near the ARC and a large dining commons.

Tecero is near the dairy but more centrally located on the main campus. They recently renovated their dining commons.

UCD housing website does a good job in describing the types of rooms, location and amenities. Any one of these residential areas are good options but Cuarto will be the farthest from campus so a bike might be necessary if he does not want to spend more time walking. Since you have visited the campus, you are aware how the campus is spread out.

@lkg4answers probably can give you more information since she has more recent experience with UCD and the housing/dining options.

Housing has changed in the past few years. Tercero, Segundo and Cuarto are the freshman dorms. West Village is for sophomores. Incoming freshmen used to be able to request Tercero vs Segundo vs Cuarto. They can’t do that anymore. LLCs are not guaranteed but if you have a strong preference for one dorm vs the other, I suppose you could request a LLC that is in that dorm. Most halls are co-ed.

Cuarto has the newest halls (some just opened this year) but they are all suites. Personally, I think Tercero has nicer halls/rooms than Segundo but kids who live in Tercero think it is the best and those that live in Segundo think it is the best.

Students can eat in any dining common. The Segundo dining common has the best selection and larger portions.

Meal plans are by the day as opposed to by swipe. A student can go in and out as many times as they want during the day. The way it was explained to us is that they want it to be like your kitchen at home. Students can go in and grab a banana, go to class and then come back for a bowl of cereal. If they eat dinner and a friend comes back from class and wants a companion, the student can go back into the dining common again and have a snack. It cuts back on over eating and wasted food. Some students like to use the dining commons for late night studying.

You can opt for a 5 day meal plan or a 7 day meal plan and you can change your plan each quarter. Just like any dorm, students get tired of the food. We did a 7 day plan the first quarter because we felt that eating together was part of the social scene and would help him meet other students. The second quarter, we cut back to 5 days/wk and gave him extra money to pay for food on the weekends. He complained a bit but not enough for us to pay the extra money for 7 days.

If you have other questions, feel free to ask. Congratulations again! Davis is a great school!

5 Likes

Thank you! Are the LLCs hard to get into? First come first served? Lottery style? He really wanted to be in one — and at UCM you just sign up for one and get in so we didn’t anticipate that it might not happen.

1 Like

It depends on how many kids are applying for it. I believe UHP is guaranteed. Rainbow may also be guaranteed. I think they reserve the single gender floors for those with religious or personal reasons. I’ve heard of students requesting the health sciences and engineering/LEADR LLC and not getting it.

Does anyone know what GPA must be maintained during this last semester of high school for conditional admission?

You need to maintain a 3.0 weighted GPA for all of Senior year with no D’s or F’s.

It is not spelled out in your provisional admission contract?

Housing application? I had heard there are parts of this application that asks for specifics about the type of person you are, time you get up, tidiness etc. however, we did not have that option to provide any of that information. What are we missing? Was this only for the original admits? Did any waitlist students see that these options?

My son was a 2013 admit and there were no specific questions regarding roommate habits/preferences at that time and it seems like this has not changed. If he finds a compatible roommate on one of the roommate finder sites, they can request each other by selecting the exact same options.

1 Like

Do you see this in the housing portal? My D hasn’t worked through it yet, so I don’t know how it works, but it looks like students can use it to search for roommates.

I have been off CC for five days and missed the best news!!! Congrats, @JenBar !!

4 Likes

What are the roommate finder sites? Just zeemee?

I know some will use ZeeMee, Facebook, Room Surf. I am not really up to date with the preferred sites for finding roommates. Hopefully current students can offer some suggestions.

1 Like

There is a new app called Patio that people are talking about at other schools. Not sure if it is set up for Davis.

3 Likes

Can vouch for Patio. Great people on there :slight_smile:

1 Like