UC Davis vs UC San Diego for Computer Science

<p>Ok, I know that UCSD is more reputable for Computer Science, but will I regret myself if I go to Davis for computer science? The fact the UCSD’s ranking for CS is making me stressed because I want to go to UCD since they are offering me $6000 more dollars than UCSD and because it’ll be closer to home. I also just recently got into UCSD from the waitlist a couple days ago and must SIR today if I decide to go there (by Saturday 06/07 11:59 PM).</p>

<p>So, can anyone tell me about UCD and UCSD computer science programs? Isn’t it more important that I do good in my CS classes wherever I go and that’s what matters the most?</p>

<p>Also, I’m a transfer student</p>

<p>I would go with the cheaper option and if you are looking to go to Grad school it will help with that additional cost. I agree UCSD is “ranked” higher than UCD, but I truly believe that if you excel at any school, it will definitely open just as many opportunities. I do not have any experience first hand about the CS program at UCD (other than talking to some of my sons CS friends), I just think UCD is a great school. Go with your gut feeling. Good Luck.</p>

<p>I would go with UCD, in my family and immediate families, we all take the money and run. I think UCD is closer to Silicon Valley so it’s a plus.
Do you like UCD better than UCSD? If yes that is also a plus.</p>

<p>Ok, hold up, so the cost of attendance for UCD is 33000 and it’s 31000 for UCSD. So, in the end, Davis gives me 4000 more dollars. But still, that’s 4000 dollars.</p>

<p>Where do you get $33K for UCD? My son currently attends UCD and we have only paid this year $30K. COA will always include discretionary items such as travel etc… Those can be increased or reduced depending upon your situation. My son has flown home 3 times this year which is included in my costs.</p>

<p>I just included the health insurance for both schools into the cost of attendance, that’s why it i said 33000 and 31000. Without it (since I can use my current health insurance), they would be 31000 and 29000 respectively.</p>

<p>If it’s cheaper at UCSD and you really like it then go there. Are you saying it’s more expensive at UCD? So where does UCD give your more money? Doesn’t make sense. UCSD has a stronger program from what I can tell in CS, UCD is known for Computer Engineering, one of my ex-boss went there and his dad was a CEO of a large computer company in the Bay Area.</p>

<p>So it goes like this:</p>

<p>UCSD is giving me a 4200 grant.</p>

<p>UCD is giving me a $6800 university grant, but they will be giving me another $3400 (because of the aggie plan for 80k - 120k families, which my family falls under). However, UCD cost of attendance is around $31000 (with health insurance waved) and ucsd is $29000 after health insurance is waved. So </p>

<p>6800 + 3400 vs 4200</p>

<p>That’s 6000 more than UCD, but because Davis is a couple thousand dollars more for cost of attendance, in the end, I’ll save like around 4000 bucks if i go to davis.</p>

<p>You have less than 1 hour to make decision, well that is pressure. Have you been to UCSD? Do you like UCD better? It’s not prestige but I can see from looking at UCD courses that it’s not well organized as UCSD.</p>

<p>I do think UCD will be more fun, but I’m just worried why no one has heard that they had a CS program?</p>

<p>at least people on here seem to have not heard of anything about UC Davis’s CS program.</p>

<p>It’s not well known because other programs at UCD are better known. Pre-meds, engineering, agriculture, wine. Anyways, good luck with your decision. I must go to bed now.</p>

<p>So what did you decide? my son goes to UCSD and his roommate is a CS major. Go to UCSD! he loves it here and already has a job lined up when he graduates.</p>

<p>@tkpasq‌, I was deciding, then i realized that UCSD would mean staying an extra year = spending another 30,000. So, I emailed the UCSD admissions office and told them to decline my SIR. Luckily, the guy e-mailed me back and said that my SIR wasn’t received (it was actually received and it takes a couple days to process according to the lady when I called UCSD office), so he didn’t do anything. Luckily this happened because I then realized I didn’t take into account some stuff and that I would spend 2 years and a quarter at UCSD instead of 3 years. So, this made me back to stage one = I’m still deciding lol.</p>

<p>Are your son and his roommate both CS majors? Do you know if they are doing CS BA or CS BS? And, who has a job lined up, your son or his roommate? Also, what’s the job?</p>

@bhav007 where did you end up deciding to go? I’m in the same debate myself–I got into UCSD for mathematics-comp sci and to Davis for Comp Sci in the Letters and Sciences. Don’t know what to do!