UC Davis vs UCSD

<p>I’m posting this thread for a friend of mine who needs some advice on what to do.</p>

<p>Got into UC Davis Biotechnology (great program, of 20,000 admittances about 200 get this major, she says)</p>

<p>Got into UCSD winter quarter for Pre Maths Computer Science (second choice major) at Muir</p>

<p>Her dream school is UCSD, but she wanted to do Bioeng there. It’s basically impossible to switch into that major, since she wasn’t admitted into it. While she is upset about not being to study the subject she thinks she would most enjoy, she loves the campus and the atmosphere at UCSD.</p>

<p>On the other hand, UCD was her second choice. She likes the campus, but not like she LOVES UCSD. However she is very very happy with the major she got into at Davis and after doing some research, she found out that she would probably be able to get a higher starting salary as a Davis biotech major than as a San Diego pre maths comp sci (or econ, if she goes to ucsd, she will change) major. </p>

<p>Thank you for helping her out!</p>

<p>I would tell her to go to UCSD.. In prestige its a good step above Davis, and is located in a beautiful place..</p>

<p>If she is looking for more of a social and traditional college experience, she should go to UC Davis though.</p>

<p>She can still switch into Bioengineering:Pre-Med at UCSD, which isn't impacted. The only difference is that it's more geared toward the pre-med track, obviously, and isn't ABET-accredited.</p>

<p>Her first priority ought to be her major. If she is positive about what she wants to study the choice is easy.</p>

<p>Ones major certainly should not be first priority when choosing ones college. One can't predict the future. She can be 200% sure now and yet be all confused later when she actually takes the classes. When entering UCSD I was 100% sure I'll be EE. After a quarter, I wanted to switch because I found more interesting subjects.</p>

<p>....It's not impossible to switch to that major. UCSD is tops for bioE. If you have interest in that area, I HIGHLY recommend UCSD.</p>

<p>If she is in love with UCSD, she should go there. If she keeps her grades up, she will be able to switch majors, however, as previously stated, there's no way of her knowing that she is absolutely 100% sure she is going to stick with that major.</p>