UC Davis vs. UCSD

<p>Both are excellent schools and have a very different feel th them. We have visited both and my dd is going to Davis in the fall. If you have not visited them, I would suggest you go and see which cmpus feels right to you. Really, you can't go wrong, both are very good in biology.</p>

<p>I really am torn between SD and Davis. SD does seem to generally be better in biology-related fields, but Davis is closer to home for me and SD is so far away. How is the social life at both schools?</p>

<p>I have two kids at UC Davis. From what they say, the party scene is alive and well, it's just that parties are not the only activity available to UCD students. </p>

<p>My kids feel the balance of so many great things to do in a true college town makes Davis a really fun and unique place. Sports, both participation in and attending games (26 D1 NCAA teams, clubs, and an enormous intramural program) are a huge part of student life. (UCSD is D2 and doesn't have football) The students seem to really enjoy the exuberant Aggie spirit and all of the free stuff given away at games and activities by the Aggie Pack. Go Ags, Aggie pride!!!</p>

<p>Bikes abound and everything in Davis is centered around the college which makes for a great environment. There are constant dorm activities, a lively frat row, free movies, concerts, several art galleries, the Mondavi Center, the downtown market, outdoor adventure, river rafting and waterskiing, ski trips to Tahoe, excursions to Sacramento and San Francisco, spring houseboating on Lake Shasta, and such. </p>

<p>The rent is great too, it is worlds cheaper and right by campus! Another wonderful aspect of UCD is the free tutoring and fabulous internship program they offer. The internship program places upwards of 6000 students each year and there are some tremendous opportunities for students who seek them. The students I have met are all very happy, learning, growing, exploring, and having a wonderful, full college experience at UCD.</p>

<p>Make sure to visit, it really helps to see what the environment at both schools is like. :)</p>

<p>Hope this helps!</p>

<p>smitapita, I really think you should visit the bio department, you'll see it's ahead of UCSDs by a considerable margin.</p>

<p>That said, I've heard bad things about the social life at UCSD (commuter campus, etc.). Not sure how true those rumors are, but I can say that it is definitely good at Davis. :)</p>

<p>Davis is an excellent school, dmission. However, you do yourself (and Davis) a disservice by opining on another school's campus life or excellence even when such opinions are hedged with "not sure how true those rumors are."</p>

<p>I only meant that for the social life aspect, because I've never really done much there, other than visit for a day. That's why I said "not sure", because I wanted to make it clear that I didn't know, which is pefectly fine.</p>

<p>I do know about the bio departments though, which is why I didn't qualify that.</p>

<p>Let's try and stay on topic, though.</p>

<p>
[quote]
smitapita, I really think you should visit the bio department, you'll see it's ahead of UCSDs by a considerable margin.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>LOL</p>

<p>Keep dreaming. Anybody who knows anything about the biology academia can assure you that your assertion is horribly wrong. You can produce as much overhyped articles about the mediocre research going on at UCD, but the truth is, the leading edge of biology is currently focused on cell biology, bioengineering/bioinformatics, and pharmaceuticals, which UCSD is very well known for.</p>

<p>There is very little focus on evolution and ecology, which you like to boast so much about. Why? These are very impractical fields. Sure, they're interesting to learn about, but what pragmatic purposes do discoveries in either fields have in our society? Of course, you can make an argument about evodevo as a hot field in biology, but that's ultimately elucidating the processes of cell biology and molecular biology. And ecology is very much a dead-end field to go into, not to mention the scarce funding.</p>

<p>
[quote]
I heard UC Davis smells like cow poop when it rains.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Uh, that's so wrong. Davis smells like cow poop more in the stifling summer heat than when it rains. Trust me, I stayed in Davis for a few weeks 2 summers ago.</p>

<p>I can actually say that you're wrong. Not only do you not understand the fundamentals of modern biology, but there is no "mediocre research" going on here. Also, UCSD is know for bioengineering, not biology. In this case, for the OP, there is a difference. The main research being produced now deals with evolutionary theory and the REASON behind cell function, etc. Also, since you don't attend UCSD or Davis, not sure what role you're playing here. Are you even a bio major? Also, if you look at Bio rankings, UCSD is 7 spots ahead of UCD (.2 difference). According to one ranking, which doesn't matter much anyway. I highly recommend the OP visit the departments and decide for themselves.</p>

<p>I can argue with you that the fields are probably the most practical, but I'm obviously not going to change your mind. Ultimately, it does all come to down to evolution, though.</p>

<p>To the OP: I do not advise you to base anything off of his post, as it is simply factually incorrect.</p>

<p>Ecology/Evolutionary</a> Biology - Biological Sciences - Graduate Schools - Education - US News and World Report - tied with berkeley (no2 spot)
Search</a> - Biological Sciences - Graduate Schools - Education - US News and World Report - .2 below UCSD (7 spots)</p>

<p>And these are for grad school anyway, for undergrad, there are definitely more research opportunities here, and probably a better program. (At least when I visited the two, which I'm wondering if you've done?)</p>

<p>I'm done here. The OP should visit the two and do some independent research, good luck.</p>

<p>
[quote]
I can actually say that you're wrong. Not only do you not understand the fundamentals of modern biology, but there is no "mediocre research" going on here. Also, UCSD is know for bioengineering, not biology. In this case, for the OP, there is a difference. The main research being produced now deals with evolutionary theory and the REASON behind cell function, etc.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Wrong, wrong, and wrong.</p>

<p>One, you don't understand modern biology. The reasons behind cell functions deal with cell biology and molecular biology. The development of evolutionary theories is one of the most inactive fields of biology, not to mention the least practical. If you've ever taken a course in developmental biology or Evo Devo, then you'd know even the evolutionary theories are all used in the context of molecular biology and cell biology, with the latter two being a lot more useful these days. Furthermore, nobody questions why biological systems are the way that they are using evolutionary theories. Why? Because it's a moot point to make with no way of finding evidence for any argument. The best answer you can come up with is the lack of intelligent design. An example you can read up on is the difference between abdB expressions of various insects.</p>

<p>Two, mediocre research goes on everywhere. If you can't even admit that, then you're too overzealous to give a fair opinion on a field that you're not even familiar with.</p>

<p>Three, UCSD is known for more than bioengineering and bioinformatics. Its programs in neurobiology, biochemistry, and molecular biology are excellent. If you've ever heard of GFP, then you should know its impact in molecular and cell biology. And guess what, Roger Tsien, a professor at UCSD, shared the 2008 Nobel Prize for the discovery of GFP.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Also, since you don't attend UCSD or Davis, not sure what role you're playing here. Are you even a bio major?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I'm obviously giving a nonpartisan view. And yes, I'm a biology major in my last year. You?</p>

<p>
[quote]
I can argue with you that the fields are probably the most practical, but I'm obviously not going to change your mind. Ultimately, it does all come to down to evolution, though.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Evolution is a central part of biology, that is true, but it's not practical in the real world. Research associates are constantly being hired to do lab work, do you think a degree in molecular biology prepares you better for this or a degree in evolution? Which one is more practical, you tell me. By the way, the number of biotech companies around Davis is negligible in comparison to the number around San Diego.</p>

<p>
[quote]
To the OP: I do not advise you to base anything off of his post, as it is simply factually incorrect.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>To the OP: I don't have an affiliation with either school; I go to Berkeley. I don't really care which school you go to as long as you make an informed decision. I have actually attended plenty of career fairs and professional school seminars.</p>

<p>
[quote]
And these are for grad school anyway, for undergrad, there are definitely more research opportunities here, and probably a better program.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Right... How could you even know that unless you applied to research positions in biological sciences at both Davis and UCSD?</p>

<p>Yes, OP, definitely do some independent research on this and visit both schools. I hope you don't end up attending a school just because some random guy on the internet from the school tells you that it is the best.</p>

<p>^haha. Well said.
To the OP: Do some research yourself. Don't listen to dmission and I because we are both horribly biased and are both only freshmen.</p>

<p>I saw a post like TastyBeef's coming... I honestly don't know how Dmission convinces himself of such facts...</p>

<p>OP: Please don't make your decision based on this site in general. If you noticed, they are just full of pre-med wannabes stating biased information. Ask someone of more importance like the counselors or do some self research.</p>

<p>Strike 2 for Dmission X(</p>

<p>As I said, I'm done arguing here, but what I said is correct. I wonder why you chose to revive this thread, OoP....</p>

<p>Birdkiller, no idea what you're talking about.</p>

<p>
[quote]
As I said, I'm done arguing here, but what I said is correct.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Erm, if you're done arguing here, then what are you still doing here? By the way, you weren't arguing or providing facts; you were simply making stuff up to make Davis look like a better school.</p>

<p>It's okay to advertise your school, but it's utterly pathetic to put down another school (UCSD) while making things up about a field that you know so little about just to attract prospective students.</p>

<p>Revive a thread what like 6 days old? Don't even.</p>

<p>It's funny how Dmission likes to make such statements all the time and then when he's criticized for it he just leaves... makes you wonder. Don't bring down schools that rejected you please.</p>

<p>Birdkiller means exactly what I just said. This is just the second time he's seen you struck down for such nonsense on the threads.</p>

<p>Undergraduate programs in biological science are not ranked. Here are the USNWR rankings for graduate programs. As you can see there is very little difference. Both UCSD and UCD have top programs.</p>

<p>15 University of Wisconsin--Madison Madison, WI Score 4.3<br>
18 University of California--San Diego La Jolla, CA Score 4.2<br>
18 University of Chicago Chicago, IL Score 4.2<br>
18 University of Washington Seattle, WA Score 4.2<br>
21 University of Pennsylvania Philadelphia, PA Score 4.1<br>
21 University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center--Dallas Dallas, TX Score 4.1<br>
23 University of California--Davis Davis, CA Distance Score 4.0<br>
23 University of California--Los Angeles Los Angeles, CA Score 4.0<br>
23 University of Texas--Austin Austin, TX Score 4.0</p>

<p>My point, purest, is that you revived this solely to take your chance at a shot me, don't try to deny it, as it's pretty obvious that you actually contributed nothing to thread. Statements like "Don't bring down schools that rejected you please" are not constructive either.</p>

<p>tastybeef: I'm not arguing, but I'm not going to let myself be insulted either. I didn't make a single thing up, don't know what you're referring to. </p>

<p>This thread really has become quite stupid. The message to the OP should simply be: no huge difference, visit for yourself and decide.</p>

<p>
[quote]

tastybeef: I'm not arguing, but I'm not going to let myself be insulted either. I didn't make a single thing up, don't know what you're referring to.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>You didn't make a single thing up? Right. Explain how you would know that "there are definitely more research opportunities here [UC Davis]." I mean, did you apply to undergraduate research programs in biology at both schools? On top of that, do you know how many people were accepted to the programs you applied to?</p>

<p>Also, explain this: "UCSD is know for bioengineering, not biology." I'm sure there are plenty of students who would disagree with this claim seeing as how the UCSD biology program just became impacted.</p>

<p>While you're at it, please try to substantiate a claim to this: "The main research being produced now deals with evolutionary theory and the REASON behind cell function, etc." You can start with articles from pubmed if you want, I don't really care. I'm particularly interested in your claim that serious scientists produce research on reasons (evolutionary theories) behind cell function rather than mechanisms (cell biology and molecular biology). </p>

<p>And seriously, let yourself be insulted? As if there were someone out to do that? Believe me, you do that job quite well yourself when you talk about things you don't know much about. In fact, when you point a finger at me, asking me if I were even a bio major, you point one back at yourself. So answer everyone this, are you a bio major? And if so, what classes have you actually taken to support your claims?</p>

<p>Tastybeef... Dmission never explains himself. </p>

<p>Biology is impacted at UCSD for obvious reasons such as it being VERY VERY popular at our school... hmmm let me guess WHY people apply to UCSD under a bio major...
End of story.</p>

<p>Fair enough, I'll address all the points:
research opportunity claim was based upon what I saw as I visited both campuses, and especially when I compared the two research centers.</p>

<p>UCSD is known much more for bioengineering than it is for biology. That is simply fact. It's ranked I believe #3 or so in Bioengineering, but definitely not that high in the biological sciences. Impacted, by the way, says nothing about the nature of the program, it just says whether that's what people are picking or not. The vast majority don't know anything about it at that particular college.</p>

<p>Also, evolution is extremely important, especially when it comes to the fields of genetic engineering (most of what's done today), etc. For more proof I'd brush up here: Evolution</a> - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia </p>

<p>And by that last comment, I simply meant Ooppurest. if you look at his/my post history you'll understand. He takes literally every chance he can to take a swipe at me.</p>

<p>I'm not a biology major, never said I was, but that doesn't mean I can't understand the concepts. As for the classes, I've taken AP Bio and 3 classes so far my first year, so I have a general idea if nothing else.</p>

<p>If you want to continue the biological debate, feel free to PM me, but I don't think we should discuss it here.</p>