UC Davis (w/ scholarship) vs. UCLA/Berkeley

I was recently accepted into UC Davis (out of state) with the provost award. I was also accepted into UCLA and and still waiting on Berkeley. Since I am out of state, I do not know much about these schools but I was wondering, in your opinions, if UC Davis with the scholarship (53K over 4 years) is better than UCLA or UC Berkeley. I am planning on visiting soon but any input would be appreciated.

I am a biochemistry major and am planning on continuing to medical school (if that helps).

Thanks!

As an OOS applicant, you would be paying $220K/4 years at UCLA and UCB. Unless your parents really do not care about the money, I would take the $53K award and attend UCD. Other than $27K/4 years in loans you can take out as an Undergrad, your parents will be paying the bill. Academically, all three UC’s will give you an excellent education but as a parent myself, I would tell my kid to take the money and run. Prestige wise UCLA/UCB have the name but I do not think they are worth the money that kind of money especially if you are considering Medical school which runs about $60K/year. You could always apply to UCLA for Medical school after you finish your undergrad.

Take the money and the compliment and the peace and beautiful environment that UCD offers, leaving the big city, and the name dropping options on the table. UC Davis is a GREAT school! You will get an amazing education, you can enjoy local sites like San Francisco, Lake Tahoe and all the lakes and rivers and downtown action that Sacramento has. When you graduate with a degree from UC Davis, you will be so proud of yourself, but more importantly, you will be highly educated and NOT IN DEBT!

Agree with the above posters. Take the scholarship and attend the fine university that UC Davis is. Save the money that you would be taking out in loans or your parents will pay in order for you to attend UCLA or UCB (assuming acceptance) and apply those funds to medical school in 4 years.

Congratulations!

Biology is top notch at UCD and easily equivalent to the programs at UCLA and UCB. In addition, the number of connections between UCD and its medical school/community clinics, the number of research opportunities it has, as well as the number of available volunteer opportunities (you’d easily be able to buy a car with the money you save picking UCD) the surrounding area provides make it an amazing place for a premed. Check out the MIND institute, the Primate Research lab, the HRI internships, and the BUSP program to help get you excited about UCD as a premed.

Not to mention how much lower the cost of living is.