UC Davis Waitlist Discussion Class of 2024

@bethiew Honestly it is really interesting because last year decisions first came on Monday 5/6 and the year before (2018) decisions came on Friday 5/25. The year before (2017) the earliest someone heard was Tuesday 5/16. I got that information from the CC threads for previous years. This means that there is no trend or anything we can use to predict when Davis will release the first wave this year. So honestly any day in this week and the next is fair game, but I will try to contact someone in admissions tomorrow to see what’s going on.

Any news from Davis admissions? It seems like every other UC has started utilizing their waitlist, but I haven’t heard anyone say that Davis has…

@zoomtransfer123 hey! did you end up calling them to see what’s up with waitlists this year?

i think we also need to realize that Davis requires an additional essay so it will take them some time to read through them

@bethiew I did call them, but I couldn’t really understand what they were saying lol. I emailed them after and they didn’t give me any kind of specific answer and simply said “Please check myadmissions for the answers to your questions.” So idk really know what to expect at this point

@zoomtransfer123 yikes, why are they literally acting like robots? we KNOW what it says in the FAQ, but we’re asking because other UCs have deviated from their original plans so we wanna know if they would too smh

@bex3109 IKR. Here’s the link that I used to contact UC Davis Undergraduate Admissions: https://ua.ucdavis.edu/register/ask. Also the phone number they provided: 530-752-2971

If any of y’all wanna give it a shot and see if you can find some information, feel free to do so.

Hey guys my portal is giving a 500 Internal Server Error, is it the same for the rest of you guys as well?

^ Please ignore this msg

Hello,
I was curious if anyone from in California had yet heard back from the Davis Waitlist. Davis is my top choice, but I have admittance from UCSB UCSC that will expire soon. I don’t know what to do.

@collegestudent37 nope, its only been oos and international so far:( congrats on ucsb and ucsc! you should wait until the last possible day to SIR back, and hope that Davis responds before

I’ve SIRed to Santa Cruz just because idk when Davis is planning on releasing the first wave of admissions and there’s no guarantee I’ll be accepted the first round. Seems weird that Davis and San Diego are the only UCs holding back on their waitlist admissions whole all the other UCs have started pulling ppl off their waitlist.

i’m an international student and lots of my friends had been accepted from the waitlist. I wonder what the order of releasing offer from UCD? is it according the time when students accept their waitlists or regions or different majors?

@sunny318 in-state folks would have no clue, they haven’t even started releasing to us. could you maybe ask around your friends who’ve gotten in to see when they accepted their offer and what major they applied to? see if you can note any trend or not, and update us here. thank youu :smiley:

@bex3109 the acceptance of one of my friends is undecided fine arts and she received it on April 23rd. Three of her classmates were also received the offer on the same day. She accepted the waitlist few days before 23rd. One of my classmates received the offer on April 29th and his major is chemical engineering. I could not find any clue here. maybe the time they accept the waitlist??

This is complete speculation but I think one of the reasons they could be delaying admissions is to take the extra time to reevaluate every waitlist applicant and compile a large list of acceptances / rejections that they will release all on the same day. In a way that allows the school to save more time as they are doing only one round of decisions. Another reason and I hope this isn’t the case, is that Davis might already have a close-to-full class and that’s why they prioritized OOS and international waitlist applicants over in-state ppl (kinda like what happened back in 2018 where just 24 people were accepted off the waitlist).

hmmm based on that it seems like it’s definitely international and oos first, based on major. i don’t think time of acceptance influences it much

I doubt that is the reason for the delay, I believe admission are analyzing the prospective students responses for other UCs offers results, in order to see how many folks already secured acceptance to other UCs, as this may allow them to take that into account, there are going to be multiple iterations (AKA waves) of waiting list acceptances because some prospective students may not have UCD as their first choice. The UCs have between them, Collaborative/Competitive relationships, each for their own and together for the greater UC good. I would be quite surprised if even with the COVID 19 situation there are no changes to admission patterns, I do not see 2018 pattern repeating in 2020, yes, even for great competitive UC such like UCD.
Good luck to all and stay safe.

@zoomtransfer123 i’m hoping that because they utilized the waitlist before May 1st, it means that the yield was a lot lower than expected this year. They could just be waiting for the 1st round of oos and international students to SIR or not, and then the instate students get the leftover spots :frowning: That could explain why instate students are waiting so long. But bc of covid-19, unis are also expecting more students to switch schools as they’re accepted off waitlists, so we might just have to wait longer :confused: but ofc hope the first reason is what’s rlly going on

There are also a number of UCD commits I know who got off other waitlists and de-committed from UCD . . . I am sure that will factor into the next round as well.