UC Electives-How many count towards GPA?

<p>How many electives count towards your UC or Cal State GPA from your sophomore and junior year? One is required, I know. If you have more than one, are the extra grades counted, or is just the highest chosen?</p>

<p>For example, my son’s religion classes this year are UC approved electives. Next year, both his religion class and computer programming class are UC electives. </p>

<p>Do all three count in the GPA that is determined? Or just one?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>All a-g courses taken in grades 10 and 11 are included in your UC GPA. Note: AP/honors credits are capped at 8 semesters.</p>

<p>Yes all a-g courses are counted for gpa. The 8 semesters cap is for eligibility. The uncapped gpa is often used for other purpose such as admission.</p>

<p>BusyMei - I didn’t believe you because I’d been told otherwise so many times. I did some quick research and - what a fool was I.</p>

<p>As you can see in the attached, not only is the uncapped GPA considered but, “Number of and performance in UC-approved honors, Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate Higher Level and transferable college courses.”</p>

<p>[How</a> applications are reviewed | UC Admissions](<a href=“http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/freshman/how-applications-reviewed/index.html]How”>http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/freshman/how-applications-reviewed/index.html)</p>

<p>Clearly more is better.</p>

<p>Since you are clearly more plugged in than I, a question if I may.</p>

<p>When they say, “Academic grade point average in all completed “a-g” courses, including additional points for completed UC-certified honors courses”. </p>

<p>Does that include freshman grades?</p>

<p>Thanks for keeping me honest!</p>

<p>NCalRent,
I have kids attending UCs so have gone through the process multiple times. I remember some of the details because I was surprised at how competitive some of the UCs are. Several years ago, when UCLA released their acceptance, they clearly stated that there are lots of qualified applicents and the average uncapped gpa was 4.3x (essentially don’t feel bad if you are rejected). Also we got scholarship letters, ELC letters all stating uncapped gpa.</p>

<p>As far as I know, the UC gpa does not include freshman grades but since the UC app asks for all grades, everyone who reads the app will see the freshman grades.</p>

<p>Great insight, thanks!</p>

<p>What do you mean by capped? I took 11 APs and got over 50 units for them at UCD (I’m currently a sophomore).</p>

<p>Edit: 58 to be exact.</p>

<p>capped means for eligibility ONLY. In other words, when computing your UC GPA for admissions eligibility, they will cap the bonus points at 8. </p>

<p>But not to worry, readers will also see the weighted, uncapped GPA when reviewing your app.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Correct.</p>