UC Entry Level Writing Placement Exam

<p>i know this entry writing placement is essential but what if I can’t attend the state wide writing placement for UCs on may 10, AND i can’t take an english course in my local community college during the summer? I am aware that you’re not allowed to take this placement test during orientation. So does that mean I can only take it during fall quarter at UC? btw, do most intro classes have the english writing as a prerequisite??</p>

<p>If you haven't already satisfied the requirement with ACT, SAT, IB or AP exams; cannot complete the statewide exam and do not satisfy the requirement with a qualifying college course then you would need to make sure to take the exam when it offered in the fall at your UC campus. This can make registering for courses a little more difficult since you don't know if you will pass the exam and the completion will determine which courses you should register for. Be sure to work with your academic adviser(s) closely to determine the best class schedule for the fall term.</p>

<p>Are transfer students who have completed IGETC exempt?</p>

<p>I don't believe transfer students are exempt from the ELWR. However, many (if not all) do meet the requirement by receiving a grade of C or better in an acceptable college course in English composition. Since admissions requirements include 2 UC transferable English composition courses one of these typically satisfies the ELWR.</p>

<p>i got a 720 on my SAT Writing. that means i dont have to take it right?</p>

<p>^That would be correct.</p>

<p>888 you're so lucky! I got 640 on my writing. Argh.</p>

<p>88888888: If that 720 score is not part of your highest SAT exam date please make sure the UC campus you decide to attend has record of receiving that score. To clarify, some students might receive the 720 in Writing but scored lower on the other exams. They in retaking the exam received higher scores in the other sections but, lower score in writing for an overall higher score. Since the UC campuses use the overall higher score please make sure they also have record of your 720 score.</p>

<p>What SAT score satisfies the writing requirement?</p>

<p>Information on how to satisfy the ELWR can be found at Analytical</a> Writing Placement Examination</p>

<p>what happens if you fail this test?</p>

<p>I'm guessing they (the UC you're attending) would give you a bunch of general/core English classes to take as a freshman. Just a guess though.</p>

<p>Is the Writing Placement Exam, the only placement exam that we have to take? None for math, foreign language etc? If there are, no letter = no need to take it? =P</p>

<p>Not at all. You have to take the math, language, and/or science tests at the UC unless otherwise noted. Keep in mind you only have to take the tests that apply to the classes you're taking. There's no need for math if you're going to be majoring in Poli Sci!</p>

<p>Ok what if I"m in AP LIt right now and am expecting to get at least a 3. Do I still have to go? And does taking the AP Lit class count as a qualifying college course?</p>

<p>EDIT: How do you know which tests apply to which major?</p>

<p>I checked for my engineering major, I have to take chem and physics. But I forgot everything about chem, and I have never taken physics. Do I still have to take the tests?</p>

<p>You can pretty much assume what you'll need to take depending on your major. Engineering requires a lot of math and basic chemistry, so you'll need to take both the math and chem placement tests.</p>

<p>If you know for sure you're going to fail the test, you can go ahead and apply for a workload course to prep you for the real class. A workload course is a class that teaches you the basics of the subject like how high school would in order to prepare you for the real class. It'll brush up your skills in that subject and it still gives you units towards minimum progress (but not graduation).</p>

<p>I recommend you take the tests though. I never took chem and the questions were SO basic that I nearly passed without ever stepping foot in a chemistry class. What you should do is try to get some studying done. Trust me, it's hard, as this studying is done -during- summer, but the tests aren't designed to be hard at all.</p>