Uc essay please help!

<p>Hi there! This is my University of California Prompt 1 essay. If anyone could read it over & give me some advice, that would be greatly appreciated!</p>

<p>Describe the world you come from — for example, your family, community or school — and tell us how your world has shaped your dreams and aspirations.</p>

<p>Upon arriving in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil, I could not contain my excitement as my bright eyes stared out at the airway landing strip in hopes of catching a glimpse of the city just outside. Before the summer of 2011, everything I knew about Rio was through pictures and stories that my parents shared with me. Since moving to Canada, my family had only visited Brazil once when I was still an infant. So this trip was in essence my first introduction to my country of birth. I was so thrilled to finally be able to immerse myself in the Brazilian culture; I even took some Portuguese language classes so I could try to communicate. I had always envisioned Brazil as a tropical country with thriving rainforests and picturesque beaches, but the allure I found there was of a different, unexpected kind.
White sand, warmed by the fiery sun that was the centrepiece of the cobalt sky, kissed the soothing waves of the ocean as the laughter of barefooted children playing ‘futbol’ weaved through the incessant chatter of tourists that snapped memories on their phones. It was an exact replica of my dreams; colourful, mismatched vendors scattered along the sea wall, a balmy, uplifting breeze and in the distance, the lush green forest that blanketed the Sugar Loaf mountain. I knew in an instant that I had fallen in love with this city.
My love for Rio and Brazilian culture only grew as I continued to explore every inch of the city, including the areas that are for the most part ignored. My family took an unorthodox tour of the slums, also known as favelas. Favelas are located on the slopes of steep mountains and are neglected by locals and tourists who do not want to be reminded of the ever present poverty crisis in Brazil. Drug ridden and controlled by fierce gangs, Brazil’s favelas are a pleasant surprise to be unravelled. Homes built of scrap metal, wood, and cardboard are unconventionally charming when painted with bright yellows, greens, and blues. The impossibly narrow spaces between the homes are part of an intricate system of streets, all complete with street signs. There are no professional city planners or architects coordinating the slums, yet the organization is both simple and complicated in a way an outsider could never understand. Artists displayed their vibrant pieces to sell on the streets while children in tattered clothing pursued stray dogs and small groups of people gathered in front of shabby storefronts; everything surrounding me was utterly intriguing in such a way that was ineffable. Completely enamoured by this secret city and the breath-taking view of Rio below, I could only imagine the innumerable hidden treasures of the world.
Taking this trip to Brazil was not only a chance to reconnect with my birthplace, but also an opportunity to discover my international curiousity. I realized that my passion for travelling did not develop overnight but instead was cultivated while I was growing up in a multicultural environment. My love for exploring diverse cultures, in addition to an already established interest in business, has encouraged me to pursue international business as a potential area of study. During the trip, Brazil, to me, finally became an imperfect reality full of beauty in unexpected places instead of a picture perfect beach on a postcard. In the future, I hope to see the world in all its authenticity so I can continue to grow culturally and intellectually.</p>