UC GPA

hi,
im a junior right now and im freaking out about my low gpa. so first semester of 10th grade I got a D in chemistry Honors and second semester i got a C. this summer I’m going to retake the class(just normal chemistry) so that the D wont get calcualted. I talked to my guidance counsler and she said that the UC’s average the grade I got when I repeated the course with my original D grade. is this true? beacause I thought that they just take the better grade. For example, if i got an A when i repeated , then my gap will be calculated as if i got an A and not a D. sorry if this is confusing but im really confused and Im not getting a straightforward answer from anybody. I just want my gpa to max out at this point.

Thanks a lot!

From the UC website:

“Because the student didn’t repeat the same course, the D’s they received in Chemistry Honors will be calculated in their GPA, along with the grades they received in the regular course.”

http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/q-and-a/repeating/#7

I suggest taking Chemistry Honors (if you can) to ‘erase’ the D from your UC GPA calculation. Good luck!

Oh my counselor said that it counts as the same thing. The Uc website says that AP chem is not the same as chem honors. So my D should be erased from my UC GPA calculation.

Your D will be erased ONLY and ONLY if you retake the same course you failed (Chemistry HONORS). If you take a regular Chemistry course and get an A, it will be added onto the D to get an average and that will be put into the calculation.

By the way: I was just using AP Chem as an example, so I changed it to Chemistry Honors…

Here is the course validation information for UC’s:
The original deficient grade (D and F) is still calculated in the GPA for UC freshman admissions. To remove a grade deficient from the calculation, a repeat of the exact same course is required.

http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/files/csu-uc-a-g-comparison-matrix.pdf

oh ok i understand. So can I take an online course to repeat Chemistry Honors. I can’t find any local schools which have the program…it its only for chemistry not chem honors. so with the online course, it will still count into my gpa right? Thanks