UC grading question

<p>i was wondering which UCs (if any) have reputations or known accounts of grade inflation/deflation?</p>

<p>^ (10 chars)</p>

<p>UCs are public schools. Public schools are known for their grade deflation. I remember seeing a chart comparing public vs private schools. The average GPA at the public school was ~.4 below the one for private (and this was like Berkeley vs. Northwestern or something)</p>

<p>what about the UCs compared to each other? ie Berkeley being more competitive and therefore more grade-deflated</p>

<p>I guess you could look at the GPA cutoff for Summa Cum Laude/Magna Cum Laude/Cum Laude for each of the UCs for that? It's hard to interpret that way, but when Summa Cum Laude is ~3.9 at Cal and 3.85 at LA, either Cal's students are extremely competitive or it's grading is inflated.</p>

<p>Except that Cal is known for grade deflation.</p>

<p>i'm sorry, but could you explain what SCL/MCL/CL is?</p>

<p>Latin</a> honors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia</p>

<p>Although I believe UCs don't use the Latin terminology.</p>

<p>UC Berkeley does the following:</p>

<p>University Honors: The College of Letters & Science awards Distinction, High Distinction, and Highest Distinction (comparable to Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude and Summa Cum Laude) based on overall GPA. The precise GPAs required vary somewhat year by year, as they are based on the average GPAs of the previous 4 years' graduates.</p>

<p>For 2007-2008, graduates have the following overall GPAs to receive university distinction:</p>

<p>o Highest Distinction: 3.923
o High Distinction: 3.806
o Distinction: 3.677</p>

<p>UCLA, however, uses the Latin terminology:Latin Honors</p>

<p>The College and schools award Latin honors according to overall grade-point average at graduation. Honors are reflected on official transcripts and diplomas. Eligible students must have completed at least 90 (98 for the School of Nursing) University of California units for a letter grade. The levels of honors are summa cum laude, magna cum laude, and cum laude. The minimum GPA requirements for the 2006-07 academic year are as follows:</p>

<p>College of Letters and Science: 3.870 for summa cum laude, 3.780 for magna cum laude, 3.636 for cum laude</p>

<p>^^^Yeah, I never meant to say that Cal has inflation. Not after seeing my friends coming back from Berkeley talking about their finals O_O;;</p>

<p>Ahhhhh just sayin!</p>