UC - Housing Crisis

Which UC schools are in a housing crisis? I know Berkeley’s been in the news, what about UCLA? UCSD?

Thanks.

What do you mean by crisis? Housing is tight near most large universities.

@NCalRent It sounds like the issues of state funding are causing the UC"s to enroll “too many” students and they don’t have room to house everyone - UC Berkeley UCLA, UCSD all cramming more kids into a room then normal. So I guess, my thought process is, if D gets into one of these, is it going to be miserable cramming 3 into a room let’s say meant for 2 and someone doesn’t get a desk or something. Maybe not the end of the world but I feel like it’s something to consider. Housing may be tight by many universities but I don’t know of many that are actually cramming them in…

I know at UCSD they routinely put 3 in rooms meant for 2, but it seems to work fine. There is already a bunk bed set, 2 closets and 2 desks in each room. They add a lofted bed with a desk and wardrobe under it. They assign each student to a specific bed so that way there is no arguing. I do know that you should pay the housing deposit the minute you are allowed to on their website- those who wait may not get housing on campus. As long as you pay attention to the deadlines, you are OK. When my son started there in 2013 new students were guaranteed 4 years of on-campus housing if they got their deposit in on time. Now I think it is down to 2 year- no big deal as most students move off campus after 1 or 2 years. As far as I know, on campus housing at all of the UC’s includes a bed, desk and closet/dresser, or wardrobe for each student.

What @takeitallin wrote above about a bunk bed + lofted bed is exactly what UCLA does for the triple rooms (or at least they did a couple of years ago). The residents make it work. It is such a fast-paced campus, especially with the quarter system, the residents just aren’t in their rooms often. They’re in one of the libraries, in study groups, and in classes.

Berkeley is always a nightmare, but it was particularly bad this year it seemed. The university system has a goal to have 10,000 more students over the next three years, which can spell trouble for housing especially when it’s already tight in many areas. For UCB, they had some students staying at Holy Names University and Mills College in Oakland.

It isn’t just UCs and believe it or not, it is better than it used to be. I understand most UCs do guarantee at least a year of housing to new freshmen so, at least there’s a bed for everyone. That hasn’t always been the case for UCs and isn’t the case for several CSUs.

There is good and bad about every college. Freshman housing is one part of a very complex puzzle that makes up the college experience. Tight living can forge lasting friendships - or, breed contempt. Get into several schools, then worry about housing and evaluate you options once they are known.

Thanks for all your input, i think D is planning to apply and I guess we’ll just see before we worry about it! It’s probably a reach for her anyway.

ty!

Look into the Bowles Residential College at Berkeley. It’s more expensive and there aren’t many spots available, but it would be an excellent living experience. They completely refurbished Bowles Hall and made it coed. Views of the Golden Gate from the front steps and a Hogwarts-like dining room.

It is not just UC’s problem. HYPMS have the same problem. My D is at a private university with a huge endowment fund and is in a forced triple. The room was designed for two originally. What I personally would look into is how many years of on campus housing is guaranteed and the price for the apartment around campus.

http://www.latimes.com/local/education/la-me-ln-uc-california-students-20160921-snap-story.html

Having been through this, I think it is something the parents worry about more than the kids. Our son at UCSD is our 4th, so by this point, we pretty much go with the flow. Some of the parents at move-in were really stressing about it though. The kids all seemed to pretty much take it in stride and I never heard any complaints from our son. His GF had the same set-up in her dorm and said it was not an issue. Like @fish125 said, they make it work and aren’t in their rooms that much anyway. They formed very good friendships and our son continued in an apartment with his 2 roommates and their next-door-neighbors in a house off-campus until this year. Like I said, just be aware of housing deadlines at any school you apply to and be prepared to put a deposit down as soon as they allow it!

thanks - maybe it’s something the parents worry about more, but maybe not because when we visited in UCLA in the spring, several students passed us on the tour said “don’t come here - the housing problem is terrible.” And, it sounds like it’s just getting worse with the plan to accept thousands of more students over the next two years. D17 is thinking of dropping it from her list - a shame really.