UC Irvine Class of 2027 Official Thread

I don’t think one can apply as a freshman. According to https://honors.uci.edu/admissions/

Admission to Campuswide Honors for incoming freshmen is by invitation. No additional application beyond the UC Irvine Admissions Application is necessary. Selection is based on your UC Irvine application.

1 Like

There are two paths to admission to Campuswide Honors for prospective first year students:
-By Invitation
All first year applicants to UCI (i.e. students completing high school or related programs) are automatically considered for admission to Campuswide Honors based on their UCI Admissions Application. Invitation letters are sent in the spring, and no additional application is required.
-By Application
Many students join the program by application once enrolled at UC Irvine. UCI students are eligible to apply after completing one full quarter at UCI with a GPA of 3.5 or higher in 12 or more graded units. Students are encouraged to apply as soon as they are eligible, but no later than the end of week 2 of winter quarter of their sophomore year.

2 Likes

thanks. no invitation email received from uci , may be they send it too high stats.

3 Likes

@Gumbymom so I put that I was planning on taking ap stats exam however i did not sign up. When they ask to report score what am i supposed to do? Will they reject me on that basis?

asking for all uc’s

Some of the UC’s would like to be notified if you do not take the AP exams as part of your provisional admission. Specifically, UCB’s conditions of admission had a box to check.

You will not be rescinded for not taking the exams so once you enroll in any UC campus, review the conditions of admission and act accordingly.

1 Like

Would i have to contact them right know and let them know? Or should i wait till i get my admissions?

I would wait until you decide where to enroll since you only need to send AP scores to the campus you plan to matriculate.

okay, thanks!

Good reminder about the PIQ essays and answering them clearly and not necessarily creatively.

4 Likes

Great article! I bookmarked it to help future applicants.

3 Likes

Interesting that he mentions AP courses/scores in showing readiness for certain majors. For example, he mentions Math majors, Calc BC, and says, “depending on the scores on the exam.” By the sound of this, they do look at AP scores.

Also interesting that he caps GPAs. With 144K applicants, this must make it really tough for them and will have to weigh other factors (i.e. PIQs/ECs) more heavily.

Also I wonder if they’re moving away from their past process of admitting into school first. Judging based on his discussions on getting with “other departments” to determine capacity, it looks like they’re admitting to major first (esp. the impacted ones like CS, Bio, and Nursing).

Lastly, he mentions he “serves the state of California first.” So I’m taking this as a hint to less OOS slots for this year.

2 Likes

I went to UCI for graduate school… can’t believe they are up to well over 100K+ applicants. Wow.

I do recall advising my D23 on her PIQs to move away from the flowery, story - style that many LACs/Ivies seem to promote, to “just-the-facts-m’aam” style for UCs. In some ways easier, in other ways harder. But on the whole, I think I appreciate the cut-and-dried style of the PIQs they want. (we’ll see how I feel after the rest of the UC decisions…)

Has anybody been able to sign up for the Celebrate UCI event early? I saw a few people saying they could (no speculations here, by the way).

I still have my registration (mobile pass), but it seems as if they have removed the events part of the website where Celebrate UCI 2023 was found entirely.

When you click “Register Now” at Celebrate UCI | Office of Undergraduate Admissions | UCI
It returns “This page is inactive.”

1 Like

A kid at D23’s school said he got into UCI last week, but we haven’t heard of any other acceptances. (also weird that he said for "Kinesology’ but it doesn’t appear to be a major or minor there). Any chance they do a round of early admits like UCB and UCSC?

In previous years, UCI notified Regents and CHC students in February. I believe the last couple of years they admitted those groups a week or so in advance.

There are enough students who are offered honors that you will see this thread light up when admissions decisions are released.

3 Likes

In previous years, the Regents/CHP admitted students would hear earlier than the regular admits. Last year CHP admits heard March 11 and the rest of the decisions started posting March 18. If the Regents/CHP decisions have been released, there would be several posts on this discussion thread.

Since Kinesiology is not a major available at UCI, there must be some mistake.

2 Likes

I almost hate to even go there, but is everyone able to see their financial aid determination for UC Irvine? We logged into the portal and then navigated to the main site to visit the financial aid page. Clicking on the financial aid portal I was surprised that we were able to see the fafsa determination.

1 Like