UC irvine or Virginia Tech?

<p>I got accepted to Virginia Tech but I don't know how good of a school it is because I don't live in virginia. Many people say its good, but "good" could be used to describe a number of schools. Schools that I would rather not attend. I want to attend the best school possible. How good is Virginia tech as compared to UCI?</p>

<p>or UCSD? or any school that is in california that I might know.</p>

<p>“Good” for what? It’s really going to depend on your major. But I can speak for the school as a whole: it has a gorgeous campus, a great environment, and friendly, laid-back students.</p>

<p>I mean good academically. I know people from there say it is great. But that is such a broad term. People say that for schools in california ie: SDSU, UC santa Cruz which I don’t agree with. I would just like to know what people think. Thanks for your input.</p>

<p>Does anyone else have input. I am really curious?</p>

<p>Here are some of VT’s awards and rankings, which may give you a better idea of how it measures up: [Factbook:</a> Measures of Excellence | Virginia Tech Home | Virginia Tech](<a href=“http://www.vt.edu/about/factbook/measures-excellence.html]Factbook:”>http://www.vt.edu/about/factbook/measures-excellence.html)</p>

<p>There really is no such thing as “best school”. If you have done your homework and been accepted by more than one school then you have several good choices. After you choose then it’s up to you to make sure the it becomes the right decision for you, i.e., make the most of your decision.</p>

<p>What is your prospective major? Which schools have you been accepted to (and are we talking the same major at each school)? What is the cost difference for you between the schools?</p>

<p>Virginia Tech ranks 28th among national public universities. Among all national universities, including such private institutions as Harvard and Yale, Virginia Tech ranks 71st.
The Virginia Tech College of Engineering undergraduate program ranks 15th in the nation (tied with Northwestern University and the University of Wisconsin-Madison) among all accredited engineering schools that offer doctorates. The program ranks seventh among engineering schools at public universities.
The Pamplin College of Business undergraduate program is ranked 46th among the nation’s undergraduate business programs and 26th among public institutions. Pamplin’s overall ranking places it in the top 10 percent of the more than 600 U.S. undergraduate programs accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business International.
The undergraduate programs in architecture and landscape architecture, both in the School of Architecture + Design, ranked No. 4 and No. 3, respectively, in the America’s Best Architecture & Design Schools study conducted by the journal DesignIntelligence. The school’s programs in interior design and industrial design also ranked in the study’s top 10 in their respective fields.</p>

<p>The Princeton Review ranked Tech among the nation’s top 50 public universities in its “Best Value Colleges” for 2011. Princeton Review selected 50 public institutions and 50 private ones for its rankings.</p>

<p>Kiplinger’s Personal Finance magazine ranked Virginia Tech among the 100 public colleges and universities that offer a first-class educational experience at a bargain price.</p>

<p>A Wall Street Journal survey of 479 employers ranked Virginia Tech 13th in the nation for preparing graduates to succeed on the job.</p>

<p>IEEE Spectrum ranked Virginia Tech 10th among universities for the impact of its patents. The Patent Power survey focuses on quality rather than quantity of patents.</p>

<p>Dining Services was ranked No. 2 in the nation for Best Campus Food in 2011 by the Princeton Review and No. 3 in the nation in 2010 by the Parents and Colleges publication.</p>

<p>Virginia Tech, with an average starting salary of $51,600 for graduates, ranked fifth in the nation in that metric among NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) schools, behind Stanford, Duke, Georgia Tech, and Notre Dame, according to the website Payscale.com. The ACC ranked first among all FBS conferences. Virginia Tech also ranked in the top 20 nationally for mid-career salaries of graduates of FBS schools. At 14th, Virginia Tech graduates bring in an average mid-career salary of $91,500.</p>

<p>^ that should give a clear insight on the reputation of Virginia Tech. Virginia Tech is a great school for academics,social scene/atmosphere/football& other athletics.<br>
Virginia Tech rewards those who go the extra mile in there major. The reason why I would say to attend Virginia Tech is because it is known throughout the nation for academics. Hell, numerous CEO’s of F500 companies went to Virginia Tech… that itself shows the school as a whole. Top Schools in VA: UVA, W&M, Virginia Tech, JMU.</p>