UC Merced Class of 2027 Official Thread

Location! We are from Bay Area, UCM is much closer than UCR for us. So, we can see our son every other week and it is much easier to take care of emergency need.

5 Likes

How about UCR vs UCM regarding changing majors and class availability?

I heard at some UCs many majors are impacted and classes have huge wait lists.

1 Like

I would say location, too, however for other reasons. Riverside is in the Inland Empire (or the “909” as my kids call it) which has some rough elements near campus.

2 Likes

Is Merced safer in that sense? We went in a tour last year to UCM but it was during the summer so not many kids around. We didn’t really have a chance to look around the town.

Good question. I’m not sure as I’ve never been to Merced, but it will be something we’d definitely check out.

2 Likes

A good point. It also depends on what you mean by merced. The university and surrounding areas I think look quite safe. But downtown said is a 30 minute bus ride away and it can be quite sketchy.

1 Like

Usually college kids go into town to do things. I wonder if most live on campus, but for those of campus, they would need to shop. Maybe there are few shopping centers around without the the need to head into the sketchier parts? And for professors, I would think they need to live off campus and shop somewhere.

One of the reasons we may need to cross off UoP is due to the town. During the tour and the short drive around the campus, D didn’t see anyone around and it seemed very quiet. But then reading online and asking friends, they paint a different picture of the town.

What’s UoP - Univeristy of the Pacific? If so, Stockton is sketchy for sure.

1 Like

I have talked to people who are family friends who live around Merced. From all of them I heard UC Merced is in one of the safest areas. Even from folks outside the area it seems UC Merced is known to be one of the safest and quietest campus even more than Davis.

2 Likes

Yes, they do claim to have 24/7 security on campus, but I’m quite sure students are going to wander around.

Thank you! This is really helpful.

This is true. But remember the town of Merced is not adjacent to the campus and is not as safe. Parts around the Ross and other departmental stores are quite sketchy.

1 Like

Just wondering will UC merced give out merit scholarship to admitted student? If they do, when we will be notified. Thanks

The most prestigious merit scholarship is Regents. Usually the scholarship recipients hear within a few weeks after being admitted.

1 Like

I just attended a UC Merced presentation. Was told that all Financial Aid decisions(Including Cal Grants) will be released from March 20th.

5 Likes

Ah good to know. Any idea on the Regent scholarship stats for UCM?

The info for Scholarship award

https://financialaid.ucmerced.edu/AwardLetter

Seems like the letter will be sent out this month. Good luck!

1 Like

How hot is in Merced area? As we are coming from Bay Area, I am not sure if it is too hot for my son. I understand UC Riverside is inland, it is more or less the same. Any ideas?

1 Like

In Merced, the summers are hot, arid, and clear and the winters are short, cold, wet, and partly cloudy. Over the course of the year, the temperature typically varies from 38°F to 96°F and is rarely below 30°F or above 103°F .

2 Likes