UC Question?! Does Technical Theatre cover the Visual Arts section?! (EDITED!)

Okay, so here are my grades

Freshman Year: 3.33 GPA

Sophomore Year: 3.50 GPA (I failed the first semester of Algebra 2 with a 45, then passed the next semester with a 94, but retook the first semester over the summer and got a 93.)

Junior Year: 4.0 unweighted/4.76 weighted (I took 2 AP’s, 2 Honors classes, and an AP class over that following summer)

Senior Year: 4.0 unweighted/5.0 weighted (I am taking 5 AP’s and an Honors Class)

Final GPA
3.71 unweighted
4.15 weighted

Final UC GPA
3.75 Unweighted
4.0 Weighted (I’m an OOS student, so my honors courses wouldn’t count, only my AP’s)

SAT and ACT
2330 SAT
34 ACT

Extracurriculars
Pre-Med Club
Aviation
Robotics
Science Olympiad
Aquatics

Community Service
200 hours of community service

Okay, so here are my problems.

For my Sopmore Year, I failed the first semester of Algebra 2 with a 45, but I retook it for a 93. But on the UC website, it says that as an OOS student, you can have no grade lower than a C. Does my retake grade count or do they mean my original first semester grade. Also, how should I have entered it in the Academic History part for my Sophmore Year. Was I supposed to just put the retake grade up on the Algebra 2 first semester part, or the failed grade. The second semester, I did score a 94 so I hope that helped justify things.

Next is the A-G course requirement part. In my Junior Year, I took Technical Theatre and was wondering if that qualified as a Fine Arts or Visual Arts (whatever it is) class for the “F” part of the A-G requirements.

Is there ANY hope for me to be admitted to a UC (I applied to UCB, UCLA, UCSB, UCSD, UCI, and UCD). My dream school has been UCLA since I was 13 so I sure do hope so.

P.S: I know I posted this before, but I messed up on some parts and it was too late to edit it so…

google is your friend http://bfy.tw/3wIW

“There is no pre-approved course list for schools outside of California. Referring to the A-G course list site (a database of UC-certified course lists in California schools) and the 15 college-preparatory course categories can provide guidance on the types of courses that have been UC-approved.”

"F) Visual and performing arts

UC-approved high school courses

One yearlong course of visual and performing arts chosen from the following: dance, drama/theater, music or visual art

AP or IB Examination

Score of 3, 4 or 5 on the AP History of Art, Studio Art or Music Theory Exam;
score of 5, 6 or 7 on any one IB HL exam in Dance, Film, Music, Theatre Arts or Visual Arts

College courses

Grade of C or better in any transferable course of 3 semester (4 quarter) units that clearly falls within one of four visual/performing arts disciplines: dance, drama/theater, music or visual art"

http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/freshman/requirements/a-g-requirements/

Call UC admissions to see if your Technical Theatre class qualifies as a VPA course since they will be the final word. As stated above, there is no where to look up your a-g courses that qualify since you are OOS.

You have to report both the failed grade and your retake grade on the UC application but your retake grade will be calculated into the UC GPA.

Calculate your UC GPA at the end of Junior year and repost with the most up to date stats for a better chancing.

Good Luck.

Thank you so much. You were very helpful. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

@Gumbymom