UC question... help!

<p>I know there are some instances in which a student will get accepted into a school such as UCB and not UCSB, although UCB is a far more prestigious school than UCSB. I heard that the UC admissions people from different campuses talk to each other and an easier school will sometimes reject a student because they know they will be accepted into a harder UC. Is this true?</p>

<p>if so, reject me from everywhere except for berkeley and la.</p>

<p>anyone elseee?</p>

<p>I wondered about that - get rejected if you seem 'over qualified'. They might realize that you applied just as a safety and don't really want to the school. But maybe I am assuming too much!!</p>

<p>sorry, but adcoms do not have the time to "talk to each other" and compare applicants. It just does not happen.</p>

<p>"I heard that the UC admissions people from different campuses talk to each other and an easier school will sometimes reject a student because they know they will be accepted into a harder UC. Is this true?"</p>

<p>I don't believe that. Last year, I do not recall any one getting in to UCB, and not getting in anywhere else except UCLA ( i.e. my daughter, who also got in to 5 of 6 U.C's she applied to ) and perhaps UCSD. That's not to say it doesn't happen, but lot's of folks get in to several UC's. This can often be explained by the holistic process at UCLA and UCB, verses the "formula" at UCSD.</p>

<p>hmmm okay. it just worries me that i know people who get turned down by ucsb but are accepted by ucla and ucb, especially because my first choice school is one that i may be over qualified for. but thank you!</p>

<p>The admissions work is totally independent, but the different UCs evaluate applicants differently. My daughter was accepted to UCB but rejected by UCSD. UCSC, UCD and UCSB also accepted her, which does not fit the theory of 'easier' UCs rejecting students who will be admitted to 'harder' ones. Since most of the UCs use a clear formula to assign points and admit based on some cutoff value, but they each have their own list of factors and weighting, you definitely will see this variation. </p>

<p>For example, UCSD uses UCSD</a> Freshman Comprehensive Review Process (Dec 2004)
UCSC uses Google</a> Docs - ucsc score
UCD uses Google</a> Docs - ucd score</p>

<p>However, UCLA and UCB are different. They do a private college-style holistic review and don't use a specific formula with assigned weightings.</p>

<p>Where do people "hear" all this crazy stuff from?</p>