UC Riverside Class of 2025 — Regular Decision Date: March

Ok thanks for clarifying

1 Like

Idt a lot of applicants receive the offer because several really talented, well-rounded students didn’t receive the offer, but I’m not exactly sure; I received it Friday night. I think honors college definitely has its benefits; if you carefully read the email again, they’re one of the few schools that actually list several of their benefits in the email.

1 Like

Has anyone received admission for the Chemistry major?

My son is waiting for a few UCs to send decisions, and probably something closer to us in the Bay Area is preferable, but we just got an acceptance decision in an actual paper envelope from UCR. That was a big surprise. I didn’t know any UCs were doing that. (The only other place that replied by snail mail was Sonoma State, which was our safety choice.) Anyone have an opinion about UCR vs. UCSC (aside from location, which makes UCSC easier for us)?

2 Likes

Yes - as per the following stats table it says 52,563:

It also says that the number is a preliminary number. But going from 52.5k to 66k seems a big jump. Maybe the UC system saw a big jump in the top UCs (UCSD 18%, UCLA 28%, UCB 27%, UCSB 16%) and decided to move some of those applications to other UCs like UCR and UCR? Especially the ones qualifying under the top 9% statewide or local guarantees?

Academics are very similar across all UC’s. Some UC’s are known to have stronger departments than others, but overall there isn’t much of a difference. If you’re majoring in computer science, computer engineering, physics, astrophysics, or a major revolving around biology (molecular and cell biology as an example), then I would hands down choose UCSC over UCR. However, UCR has a much more established business school compared to UCSC, so UCR is the clear winner when it comes to anything involving business, economics, etc… The main factor you should consider when choosing between UC’s is where you feel happiest at. If you hate Santa Cruz but love Riverside, you’ll be much more successful at UCR, regardless of your major.

6 Likes

Has your son visited both campuses? Most kids either love the isolated camp vibe of UCSC or do not. I think UCSC is gorgeous and I hope they are able to address housing shortages for kids after freshman year. The housing issue was the only reason neither of my kids ever applied there.

1 Like

There were 1400 transfer students. So the numbers matched.

I can’t get a clear opinion from my son. He is smart but a little directionless. I’m a software engineer and he does not want to follow in my footsteps, though he could. Actually his interests tend toward social sciences. He has not heard from UCSC. He’s a little familiar with the campus (I know my niece didn’t like it there and switched to Davis after a year). I agree it’s a love/hate thing. If he gets into Davis (again, no word yet) I’d rather he go there. That’s the one campus we did a tour of before the pandemic and he liked it. As a parent, the only thing with UCR is it makes it really hard for me to helicopter in for an emergency. That is not necessarily a bad thing.

1 Like

Has anyone been accepted undeclared?

My son was just accepted undeclared in CHASS. (By postal mail of all things. Maybe something was already on the portal and he did not check.)

Don’t know how it works, but transfers would be incoming sophomore or Junior? Why would they be counted as part of freshman application?

Thanks so much, we are waiting to hear back about my daughter. She is undeclared-Life Sciences

What major did you apply for?

Anyone apply for major of history or social sciences get accepted yet?

i applied for linguistics and got in, that might be chass tho. Idk if its social sciences or humanities

1 Like

I applied for Business Economics, which I believe is history/social sciences and I didn’t get a response yet.

1 Like

Is anyone applying to honors?

Are there any acceptances still coming out, or is it just waitlists and rejections left?

2 Likes

Any thoughts on student life in and around campus at UCR? This would be my son’s first time away from home and it’s farther away than our first choices.