UC Riverside Class of 2025 — Regular Decision Date: March

I might have missed it. Did a big batch of accepts already come out? WL? Are we just waiting for rejections at this point?

1 Like

No, I was referring to the batch on March 1st and I think 2nd. To my knowledge more decisions haven’t come out, but I think more admits can definitely still release!

Any chance of them releasing UCR and UCSD??

Hey everyone :slight_smile: for those of you who are still waiting for UCR or other colleges to release decisions, I made a video recording all of the times when my decisions came out so people after me can know when to expect theirs’s. Good luck :smiley: (realistic) College Decision Reactions 2020!!! UC, CSU, Johns Hopkins, Boston University, & more... - YouTube

1 Like

I’m curious to hear some thoughts outside my Northern California bubble about UC Riverside (where my son was accepted) and UC Santa Cruz (where he was waitlisted). As his parent, I liked the idea of having him less than an hour away, but his career interests aren’t technology (and believe me, he got the exposure from both parents and living in Silicon Valley) so is Santa Cruz actually any better?

Around here, I am sad to say, I get lot of negativity about Riverside as a location. But maybe that’s just North/South bias. I am still very proud of my son for getting into a UC. I would like to hear from people who would actually prefer UCR over UCSC. In fact, they strike me as pretty comparable.

My son found out today he got in for CS! He is/was an unconventional applicant (homeschooled), probably being considered out of a separate pool, so this doesn’t necessarily mean more admissions are coming out.

Best of luck to everyone.

4 Likes

Riverside is technically a higher ranked school than UCSC overall on US News. That said, UCR isn’t for everyone given the kind of drab location

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply! To be honest, I’m a bit skeptical of the US News ranking. I found this article on prepscholar to be very informative since it gives comparable measures like SAT range. I think my son’s SAT score would have helped if it could have been taken into account, and does exceed the 75%tile for UCSC. I am sure I’m not alone in this feeling this year. (However, his counselor said it was consistent with his grades and AP courses.)

1 Like

Honestly, the ranges mean very little other than a rough probability. I was accepted into both SLO and Davis despite having an UW 3.14. Admissions were really strange this year with many high stats applicants waitlisted or denied. If it were me personally, I would pick Riverside, partially because they have a medical school and partially because my girlfriend lives there;P

1 Like

Thanks! That is very interesting, though I think my son’s acceptances and waitlists lined up OK with expectations. Unfortunately he’s WL for Santa Cruz and Davis, which were our top picks.

Both are fantastic schools. Santa Cruz is a gorgeous campus that no UC other than SB can really compare to. It really sucks considering it’s now considered harder for in state residents to get accepted than OOS

3 Likes

I feel we’d have a decent chance with UCSB and UCD if they’d look at our 1500+ SAT. Feel like being penalized for study over the summer and took the test early. Thanks goodness most other schools still take SAT score, but we are look at higher price tags.

2 Likes

I hear you, though my son’s was not at that level. In fact, he made a prudent decision to take the SAT Fall of his junior year so he could focus more on APs in the Spring. The results were good, but I thought he could improve with a high quality prep course. Then with the pandemic he couldn’t even retake, and anyway, none of the colleges he applied to were going to look. So I am happy I didn’t try to push him hard on retaking. But it must really be tough for those who see their SAT as the strongest point of their application (it’s been a long time, but that was my situation way back).

Does anyone know approx when UCR decisions are coming out again? Getting worried.

2 Likes

We took our first one in winter and were going to retake in spring see if she could get to the 1550 mark before it got canceled. All that time could have been spent doing something else. Or simply getting more sleep!

1 Like

Having issues with seeing the financial aid/awards for UCR. It says nothing there. I easily found it for other UC’s.
Any suggestions? Clicking on financial aid tab and the year. Nothing comes up. Thanks!

From the admissions office: "All new incoming students will receive an estimated financial aid by the end of March. "

1 Like

I heard it’s usually the last Mon or Tues of the month. This has been the case with other years.

1 Like

Same here…

UCR is an amazing school. People really look down upon it. But at the end of the day your son is more likely to get more help there thanks to the learning community available, and also a better gpa in the major that he is planning on taking. UCR is tied with SDSU for me as of right now, but I am waiting for my waitlist results

1 Like