UC Riverside

<p>Hey,</p>

<p>I’m an out-of-state applicant who would like to apply to UCR.</p>

<p>My SATs are good (2000/2400, 1300/1600) and as are my SAT IIs (700s). I have good EC’s as well. The problem is my awful GPA (2.8 UW 3.0 W). However senior year term 1 I got straight A’s (this doesn’t count towards my GPA). My course difficulty is alright (2 honors freshman year, 1 honors softmore year, 1 honors 1 AP junior year, 1 AP 2 honors senior year).</p>

<p>Now would I stand any chance at UCR? Even if I don’t make GPA requirement and I submit anyway is there the slightest hope for me? Thanks.</p>

<p>It depends on your UC GPA. If that's a 3.0 or above, then you're definitely in.</p>

<p>UC GPA requirements for out of state kids is 3.4 UC weighted so if you have that, then ur in :)</p>

<p>There's that calculation page for UC eligibility. I <em>think</em> your high SAT score would give you a fighting chance, as long as you emphasize your desire to go there (a lot of people apply there as a very remote back up school, so someone actually wanting to go there might stand out)</p>

<p>.... Can you still apply if this is your senior year? ... unless you want to take a gap year?</p>

<p>I should say I plan to get straight A's. Lets assume I do.</p>

<p>Anyway, on the UC calculator I have about a 3.1 GPA. Out-of-state requires 3.4. Can I still apply anyway and hope they make an exception?</p>

<p>Yes, you should apply anyway.</p>

<p>Your stats look good. Can't you go to a better private school?</p>

<p>I'm trying for some good private schools (Boston University, Northeastern University, American University, George Washington, Syracuse) but my GPA is awful! I worry its gonna keep me out of everywhere.</p>

<p>don't worry bout it. riverside accepts like 75% of its applicants :D u'll get in for sure</p>

<p>That also means UCR rejects 25% of its applicants (i think this is lower, but im feelin lazy), which is one out of every four people.</p>

<p>Having a below threshold GPA while also being OOS is likely to get you placed in that one of four. </p>

<p>Do yourself a favor and find out your UC GPA, it could certainly help u find ur options.</p>

<p>yeah man, im sorry to say, but UC screws us OOS's over big time. whether you went to a competitive highschool or not, they have the responsibility to serve California students first. i have a friend who got rejected from UCSB with 3.95 gpa and 2300 sat score. </p>

<p>if cali is where you're really looking to go, i would SERIOUSLY think about private schools.</p>