UC’s Fall 2020 Covid-19

I haven’t seen a UC specific thread regarding fall 2020 to share news and questions. To start, I’m linking an article from the president as of yesterday 5/20/20:
https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/05/20/coronavirus-university-of-california-campuses-will-open-in-the-fall-napolitano-says/#comments

@gratefulmama: Thank you for posting this information. Feel free to continue posting updates since this situation is ever changing.

@Gumbymom - Thanks. It will be interesting to see how it evolves. I’m curious to hear how students, specifically freshman are planning to tackle the “no housing guarantee” if campuses are open but housing is not offered.

@gratefulmama: I agree about the housing issue especially if the campuses are going to use a “hybrid” model. For many lab classes, you need that in-person interaction. If you have no housing, how can you attend the classes? It will be very interesting indeed.

I am hoping that when the course listings come out that they will designate which courses can be taken without returning to campus, if this will be allowed. If many students could stay home, there would be more room for students who must take in-person classes like arts and labs to be socially distanced in dorms, classrooms and dining halls. I don’t know if this is what the hybrid model is supposed to be like, but I would rather my son stay home until January at least.

Just saw a statement from UCSD answering some FAQ that gave a list of about 19 classes that would not be offered remotely. Presumably all other courses can be taken remotely.

@BunnyBlue - Interesting. Hope that’s a sign that they are starting to roll out information. Were the classes mostly labs?

@gratefulmama They are classes in Music, and Theatre and Dance, and classes at Scripps Institute of Oceanography, and a course in Electrical Engineering, Introduction to Autonomous Vehicles. The list can be found by googling TritonLink Fall 2020 Schedule of Classes FAQ. Look under “Course Planning” at the answer to "What if I don’t plan to be on-campus in the fall but all of my classes are in-person or hybrid?

I hope we see something similar from UCLA soon.

UCLA update today:
https://www.bso.ucla.edu/update/jun-15-2020-1230pm-coronavirus-update-54-office-executive-vice-chancellor-and-provost

Curious what the other UC campuses are going to do.