**UC San Diego Class of 2025 Discussion**

Yes, it’s semantics.

Our local public school district went to a 2nd semester P/NP grading policy. I watched a few school board meetings via Zoom, where parents were quite vocal about their kids being “penalized” for the policy.

But the other side of the coin is some low SES kids weren’t doing well with the remote learning environment and the school district felt grading them would be “penalizing” them.

2 Likes

Right. There were no good options at the time. And I can see both sides of the debate. Our school didn’t implement the P/F - they did a “do no harm” setup where whatever your grade was as of progress report 2 (which was right after lockdown date) was the lowest grade you could get for the semester - you could only go up from there. That policy was challenging as teachers interpreted it (and implemented it) differently.

I’ve said it before - I don’t envy AOs this year trying to account for all of these different approaches.

1 Like

Anyone know when decisions will come out?

1 Like

Depends on the major. There is plenty of data here: Information center | University of California

Capped max gpa is 4.4. Anything higher is likely full UC GPA

we are not even sure if it is indeed today…

Anyone have any info on if it is even possible it is today?

My son was a senior in high school & applied last year. He received his decision a year ago today. UCSD was the 1st UC school to release their decision. My niece who lives out of state has applied this year.
Good luck!

3 Likes

my weighted GPA is pretty high compared to a pretty average/ slightly low UC capped/weighted GPA calculated via roger hub. should I be concerned

This time Santa Cruz, Riverside and Merced have already released.

Good to know. The top 5 UC’s released their decision within the 2nd & 3rd week of March. At least, that’s how it was last year.

Not sure if I replied to your question earlier…

UCSC has only released to their version of the Top 1-2% applicants. The vast majority of applicants are still awaiting a decision, including my D.

5 Likes

I was not against P/NP at the time nor am I in retrospect. I just hope they take that fact into account when they evaluate by GPA.

I preferred the “do no harm” policy mentioned by @Seabass927.

But so far, D21 is 6 for 6, so, P/NP hasn’t hurt her so far. But of course, waitlists and rejections will be forthcoming.

1 Like

I did not hurt my boys at Cal Poly or McGill but I am not sure if it would have been true if they has applied for super competitive engineering majors. And we will have to see about the UCs.

Thanks for this - I had done this sort of math too to figure out how folks get the high (non capped) GPAs. The thing is, a high GPA means a lower denominator - which can mean fewer A-G, which can mean the ‘above and beyond’ A-G factor that some CA colleges use will take a hit (but they may also know how many classes students at different high schools can take - some do 7, some do 8 for example). In our son’s case, he had 8 classes/year, 2 of which were non-A-G (one was PE 10 and one was another ‘fun’ blow off some steam class…kid’s gotta live sometimes). Capped GPA (10-11 with all grades, even second semester 11th) is 4.29. In this case the denominator is 14 instead of the 10 in green above…but I think they see the course listings and can judge (I hope) that a 4.40 is similar to a 4.29 as it is based on number of classes a student can take at their school (some schools offer 7 classes/year, others 8 - 4 fall semester, 4 spring). Fun with math! :slight_smile:

1 Like

When do decisions come out?

the golden question!
no one really knows. we’re predicting either today or next Friday.

No one knows but people are suspecting tonight by 4:30pm. If not tonight then next week by Friday

1 Like