**UC San Diego Class of 2025 Discussion**

@StrogMedicine: For the last several admission cycles, UCSD decisions start Mid-March. In the past, they did notify some applicants (Regent scholars) a week earlier.

When I looked at it, it said answering that question was optional and part of a survey, (and repetitive of the COVID question that was already on the app). My son skipped answering.

DS has applied to UCSD, UCLA, UCB, UCI, and UCSB. His grades this fall semester were his best yet, and we were trying to figure out if there is any way to contact admissions and have the mid year transcript added to his application file. UCSB specifically says do not send them anything else unless asked for. Do you know if this is possible at any of the other campuses, or will none of them look at the fall semester grades? In a year where they won’t look at test scores and grades will weigh more heavily, I wish there were a way to convey this information to them.

I’m a current student at UCSD. I’m not sure when the exact date is, but your son will receive an email to update his grades electronically by logging into his UC application. He should not send in his transcript unless he receives an email instructing him to do so (and this will be after he is accepted).

follow this link for more information

@Pusheen1. @SomniRat is correct that unless a UC campus initiates the submission of a Mid-year transcript, then do not send. UC’s in general do not consider Senior grades in their admission decisions and all UC’s expect Seniors to continue to do well Senior year or lose their acceptance.

How likely is it to get into your first choice college? (For those who are accepted, of course.)

1 Like

I understand they need to continue to keep up their grades if accepted or risk losing admission. My concern is about letting them know about improved grades to enhance his chances of acceptance in the first place, given that they are not looking at test scores (which he got 35 on ACT) and his GPA is a weaker component due to a learning disability. :confused:

I understand. Only submit Mid-year transcripts if requested by the school. They will not look at any extra documentation unless they first initiate the submission. If the student portal allows you to update your Fall grades, then do it there. For the majority of students, decisions are based on what was submitted on the UC application.

1 Like

Hi! I received the Applicant Survey and the last question asks, “How has COVID-19 impacted your plans for College?”
It is 250 words, but I’m assuming this isn’t something admissions officers will see? Will this response impact my application in any way?
Thank you!

The application process is over, this is just a survey for data collection. Your response won’t affect your admission status, they’re allowing you 250 words to be able to communicate your circumstances if needed. I’ve seen a lot of applicants stressing about this, you’re okay!

1 Like

If you mean the UCSD colleges, I think this depends on your major, space availability, and your character. Muir College is probably the hardest to get into because it’s so popular due to its minimal GEs compared to the other colleges.

I see a trend of typical majors to end up in certain colleges: Revelle has many bio/chem majors, Warren has many CS/engineering majors, I think Muir is more for social sciences, etc.

But I also see plenty of STEM majors in Muir, Literature majors in Warren, and so on.

To answer your question; it’s pretty likely you’ll end up in your preferred college if there is enough space for you there :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Did anyone get an email asking for fall grades and answering additional question? Just got this to answer ——
Are there any personal circumstances that have significantly impacted your ability to achieve academically? This includes, but is not limited to matters such as employment, family responsibilities, illness or school environment.
If yes, how have you tried to overcome these circumstances and how has the experience prepared you to overcome any personal challenges that might occur if you were a student at UC San Diego?

Anyone else?

I think someone on the UCLA posted they got asked additional information. It’s normal. A small percentage will be asked. They’re interested in you to want clarification or additional insight to help them finalize the decision.

So that can be good right, at least you’re not in the decline pile yet.

1 Like

I agree. I received the supplemental questionnaire for UCLA and I submitted it last night. Haven’t gotten it for UCSD though.

When do UCSD decisions normally come out?

Based on the past years, I think it happens on March 12, 2021.

Does UCSD have any early admits in February?

No. Usually 1 week before regular decisions come out in March, Regent recipients may get notification.

Last year Regents were notified the same day as everyone else but found out they received the scholarship by logging onto their portal. I don’t think they have done the “likely” phone calls in a few years.