UC San Diego Class of 2027 Official Thread

Daughter not as upset about being waitlisted as I expected. She really wants to go to UCSC (was over the moon excited to get in) but is also waiting for UCSB.
I think I was more disappointed because her older sister lives in SD so she would be close if she needed her. I had to remind myself it is her college experience and mine.
Congratulations to all that were accepted.

3 Likes

UC GPA 4.31
GPA weighted:4.46
Camp counsellor x 3 years. Professional actor. Chemical engineering major
Choir and musical theater. Teachers aide this semster, BC calc. 8 APs all 4

2 Likes

Seventh is not new. Eighth is new.

1 Like

waitlisted UCSD
waitlisted UCI
Accepted UCD
Accepted UCSC
Accepted Cal Poly SLO

3 Likes

Congrats! Could we have the stats? Just wondering for my kid next year, thank you.

2 Likes

Decision: Accepted!!!
Merit scholarships awarded (if any): none
Major (and division if applicable) applied to: Biomedical Engineering
College: Marshall (2nd choice)

ACADEMIC STATS::
UC Unweighted GPA: 3.96
UC Capped Weighted GPA:4.35
UC Fully Weighted GPA: 4.35
ELC (top 9% CA HS): Yes

Comments about course load (including senior year):
Number of a-g courses: 24
Number of UC Approved Honors courses: (5 honors, 6 AP)
Number of AP courses/exams (scores in parentheses): AP World (2), APUSH(4), CALC A/B(5)
Number of IB courses/exams (score in parentheses): n/a

Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): no major awards

SUBJECTIVE::

Extracurriculars:
4 years tennis player, Key Club

Job/Work Experience:
P/T job 15 hours/week

Volunteer/Community service:
Volunteers for local charity that provides food for low-income elementary school kids

Summer Activities:

Personal Insight essays (details): PIQ’s were good…Son overcame a bit of adversity and one essay spoke to that.

Supplemental/Augmented Review: Yes or No - No

DEMOGRAPHICS::

State/location of HS (if domestic applicant): CA - not San Diego

Country (if international applicant): n/a

Applied for need-based financial aid? no

First Generation? no

REFLECTION::

Strengths:
Solid course load focused on the math/sciences

Weaknesses:
No leadership roles

Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/denied:
Accepted: UCD, UCSC, UCR, SDSU, CSULB, Cal Poly Pomona, Colorado State, Oregon State,

GENERAL COMMENTS

3 Likes

It was new 3 years ago. That’s what my son was admitted to but he attends another UC. It’s nice!

2 Likes

D accepted
Unweighted gpa 4.0, weighted 4.52
major: business economics
in state
lots of ECs,
6 APs completed, 4 in progress
ELC Yes

3 Likes

Decision: Accepted
College: Muir (1st Choice)
Major: Urban Studies and Planning
UC GPA: 4.25
UNW GPA: 3.91
AP: 9 Classes (12 tests)(passed all 7 tests taken so far)
Dual Enrollment: 24 classes taken at local community college (will graduate with two AA’s and IGETC certification).
EC: Sport all four years of high school (team captain senior year), Club president, Large amount of community service hours unrelated to major, Paid internship living aboard boat working with kids, two awards from College Board and my community college for academics

Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/denied:
Accepted: UCB, UCD, UCSC, Cal Poly Slo, SDSU, WWU

6 Likes

Congratulations is UCB out too !

Early acceptance came out on February 9th, but their regular decisions come out on March 30th!

1 Like

UCLA, UCI, UCSD today.

6 Likes

Was chemical engineering her second choice or did they assign this?

Thank you :blush:

Waitlisted :confused:

congrats to everyone who got in !

Decision: Accepted
Major : Computer Science (Warren)

UC Unweighted GPA: 4.0
UC Capped Weighted GPA: 4.33
UC Fully Weighted GPA: 4.65
Number of AP courses/exams: 8 - includes AP Calc BC(5), AP CS A(5), AP Computer science Principles (5), AP Physics 1, AP Physics C…
DE: Multi Variable Calculus, Java, C++ at CC
InState/So Cal
EC related to Major, Tennis, Tutoring

Waitlisted Davis,UCLA. Accepted to UCI, SJSU, CPP, and alternate major at UCSC and UCR

4 Likes

Waitlisted for CS-Bioinformatics

4.31 capped UCGPA (3.97 UW/4.6 W) w/ ELC designation (class rank is about 15/600)

12 APs/5 Honors, no IB

A couple leadership positions, a lot of community service and STEM ECs. Highlights are a bunch of Science Olympiad medals and being chosen to supervise school district’s summer camp. Reported a collective ~200 hours of volunteering.

PIQs were nothing special in my opinion, but very concise and fit the prompt well. I thought that a weakness was that I didn’t really have a wide breadth of ECs/low leadership positions.

I think my mistake was applying for a CS-adjacent major while simultaneously aligning my profile more for bio/pre-med (and I actually want to be pre-med). I’ve always been interested in bioinformatics, but for my pre-med profile, I probably should’ve just applied for the bioinformatics program under the College of Biological Sciences instead of the CSE College.

Also: Accepted to Davis with scholarship, accepted to Irvine w/ Honors College, waitlisted from UCLA

3 Likes

Waitlisted Data Science :sob:
UC Unweighted GPA: 3.95
UC Weighted GPA: 4.32
UC Fully Weighted GPA: 4.5

Number of AP courses: 9 + 2Hnrs + 3 CL

DEMOGRAPHICS:: Female
State/location of HS: Bay Area Public/Fremont

Son waitlisted for Mechanical engineering

UC Unweighted GPA: 4.0
UC Capped Weighted GPA: 4.27
UC Fully Weighted GPA: 4.6
ELC (top 9% CA HS): yes

Number of a-g courses: 28 classes
Number of UC Approved Honors courses: 2 UC approved I think? 6 non-UC approved
AP courses/exams (scores in parentheses): 10 AP classes, scores: four 5s, one 4
DE classes: 4

SUBJECTIVE::
Good PIQs, solid ECs, leadership, and awards but nothing really wow by CC standards
Supplemental/Augmented Review: No

DEMOGRAPHICS::
State/location of HS: southern California, large public HS
ACCEPTED: UCLA, UC-Irvine (honors college), Davis, CPP
WAITLISTED: no word on SLO

3 Likes

Son was admitted into Marshall college today (yay!!)…we really didn’t expect him to get accepted so we probably didn’t spend enough time researching the colleges. @Gumbymom Is that a done deal or is there any way to request a change if we wanted to?

1 Like

He can check with Housing but Residential college transfers are very hard.

If you are interested in exploring Inter-College Transfer to another College, please read below to make sure you are eligible. ICT is an exception and is not guaranteed. Even if you are eligible, other Colleges are not required to admit you, as they may have enrollment limitations. You may only apply to one College during the application process. It is your responsibility to research the College you want.
Muir College, Eleanor Roosevelt College, and Seventh College are not accepting ICT applications.

Can you graduate two quarters earlier?

Students are only eligible for ICT if they can demonstrate they will graduate two quarters earlier at the intended College. There are no exceptions to this policy.

Do you meet the criteria?

1. You must have a cumulative UC San Diego GPA of 2.5 or higher with a quarter GPA of 2.0 or higher in the application term.