UC Santa Barbara Class of 2027 Official Thread

Same, 3.9 UW / 4.67 W with good ECS and decent essays, but waitlisted at Davis and haven’t heard from SLO. Fingers crossed for the rest of the decisions.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your reply, and good luck on the rest of your daughter’s schools! We are in similar boats! My daughter was also accepted to SDSU early, which was a huge confidence builder for her. I really like SDSU (and like that they like my daughter!) but I’m afraid she won’t be pushed to grow enough because the student body seems very similar to all her friends in high school (we are from Orange County,) and I would like to see her get out of her comfort zone. The UC’s are so unpredictable and somewhat maddening!

3 Likes

It is disheartening as a California resident. Especially since it is demonstrably easier to get into most UCs from out of state than it is from California. :pensive:

5 Likes

We are OC too! (Irvine) I went to SDSU and loved it, but I see where you are coming from! But I think it’s the opposite for us, I feel like SDSU would be out of my daughter’s comfort zone.

4 Likes

In 2022, UCSB In-state acceptance was 30%, Int’l 21% and OOS 20%. So definitely harder for OOS percentage wise. But wishing everyone good luck. It has been a really tough year for applicants.

6 Likes

Wishing you the best!

1 Like

I get that. This process is so difficult! We all want what is best for our kids, and the whole thing is unpredictable.

You too!

Yep. 2022 saw admissions get demonstrably harder for OOS than it was even the year prior.

2 Likes

FYI, we are your neighbors! We lived in Irvine during by daughter’s early elementary years, then moved to Aliso Viejo. My daughter went to Oak Creek Elementary in Irvine.

2 Likes

OK my DS2 was rejected from both UCD and UCSC but accepted to UCSB. But that was in 2016 and he was an athletic recruit so a totally different situation. Still, I thought I’d volunteer the info, since you asked. . .

3 Likes

And even when OOS or international admit rates are higher than instate (may happen for some UC campuses this year), keep in mind that this happens partly because UC KNOWS the yield rate is really low for OOS since there is no merit or need based aid offered for them. So if they want 10 OOS, they have to offer 30 spots, while if they want 10 instate, they only have to offer 20 spots. It’s all about yield. . .

5 Likes

Thanks for the info!

1 Like

I get that. We can contrast those admit rates with a state like North Carolina (capped at 17% out of state admit rate) or Texas (capped at 10% out of state admit rate.) Considering California is the most populous state in the US and a very wealthy state, it is concerning they don’t put their residents, who pay some of the highest taxes in the country, first.

2 Likes

Exactly—and that’s in large part (low OOS yield) because the schools here don’t give much money to OOS kids! Other flagships outside CA do offer kids from CA and elsewhere merit and even need based money. Here in CA the money goes to CA kids who need the money to attend their state schools. As it should be.

Even though it makes admissions a bit harder for my in state student, I’m happy my tax dollars are funding in-state need almost exclusively, though happy to have full pay OOS kids help make things more affordable overall since they are full pay. Plus the schools are better with some kids who aren’t from CA. That’s part of why they are considered excellent schools in the first place.

6 Likes

I checked Admissions by source school | University of California for our High School and noticed that Average Admitted GPA in 2021 and 2022 are much higher than previous years (like 2020,2019,2018 etc). Is it because the Pass/Credit during Covid time ?
My question is this year admitted GPA for each school should fall back to before covid years right?

Yes, the GPA’s are higher due to Covid and Credit/No Credit classes.

4 Likes

It is my understanding that the UC Regents have recently mandated a cap of 18% for OOS/international enrollment and have increased the state funding to UCLA, UCB, and UCSD to compensate for the loss of non-resident tuition.

3 Likes

That’s positive! Thanks for the info!

2 Likes

Will I still have a shot for SB even if I got flat-out rejected by both Irvine and SD?

4 Likes