UC Santa Barbara Class of 2027 Official Thread

He got into Roosevelt college - Sixth was his first choice

2 Likes

May I ask how you got the uc capped gpa of 4.4? My school requires taking 6 classes which gets to a max of 4.33. Is taking 5 classes a common thing in your school or did you get into some special circumstance?

2 Likes

wondering that too! son’s acceptance letter just says physic. Nothing about CCS.

Decision: Accepted

Major (and division if applicable) applied to: Earth Science

ACADEMIC STATS::

Calculate your GPAs with GPA Calculator for the University of California – RogerHub

UC Unweighted GPA: 4.0

UC Capped Weighted GPA: 4.35

UC Fully Weighted GPA: 4.6

ELC (top 9% CA HS): Yes

1540 despite questionable UC policy

Comments about course load (including senior year):

Number of a-g courses: 34

Number of AP courses/exams (scores in parentheses): 9 (4or5 all)

Number of IB courses/exams (score in parentheses):

Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.):

SUBJECTIVE::

Extracurriculars: Founder/President of HS Club, State champion in Varsity sport junior year, Environmental volunteer at local state park for two years

Job/Work Experience: Three years of work experience

Volunteer/Community service: Local volunteer for multiple organizations/athletic events

Summer Activities: Mountain bike racing

Personal Insight essays (details):
Flash fiction foments fickle followers. Frankly.

DEMOGRAPHICS::

State/location of HS (if domestic applicant): Ca Bay Area

First Generation? No

REFLECTION::

Strengths: Maxed out school’s offerings with perfect marks

Weaknesses: UC Test blindness

Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/denied:
Accepted: UCSC, UWashington, CSULB, SDSU, Boulder, Oregon, Colby
Waitlist: UCSD

1 Like

My DD took 7 classes all 4 years of high school, but I do know that CA school districts are starting to allow high schoolers to take only 5 classes if desired, with an empty period where they aren’t on campus either first or last period or both. It’s good for budget reasons, teachers unions (I suppose), and for crowding and traffic flow.

Sorry I don’t get it. With 7 classes per year, it cannot get you a capped uc gpa of 4.4. Extra classes will lower the gpa. Maybe 2 of those classes were not uc approved classes like PE? Would love to know the reason. Thanks!

1 Like

Btw, my original question was directed to 8Bear who posted a uc capped gpa of 4.4. Which would indicate taking less than 6 classes. With 6 classes x 4 semesters, the max uc capped gpa would be 4.33. This suggests that they took 5 classes per semester during the 10-11th grades

1 Like

Oh, that wasn’t my DD. She took 7 classes a year every year but did not have a capped UC GPA of 4.4. She had an uw 3.9 and a w 4.3. She got 2 Bs in her soph year and 1 B in her junior year. I don’t know what her capped UC GPA was. And also the 7th class was a required religion class in her private Christian high school which was not an a-g class so those classes didn’t get factored into her a-g UC calculated GPA. Maybe something similar with 8Bear–some classes that weren’t a-g.

1 Like

they don’t update the portal or email you with the Regents? For UCSD and Davis, my daughter received an email along with her acceptance

1 Like

another tab on the UCSB portal?

Not all classes were UC A-G. The actual course load was 6 or 7 per semester. I presume the readers are aware that higher a-g course load of UC Honors courses beyond the cap results in lower capped GPA. I know at UCLA & UCB they see unweighted, weighted capped, and weighted uncapped (attended sessions where AO’s mentioned that). I don’t know if UCSB readers see uncapped weighted GPAs. Though I get the general impression that beyond a certain level (4.2ish) they are really looking to other things to differentiate. UCB data they publish shows little difference in admission rates by weighted, uncapped GPA for the 4.4 to 4.6 bracket vs. 4.6 to 4.8 vs 4.8 to 5.0. I haven’t seen similar data for UCSB.

1 Like

Decision: Accepted
Major : Electrical Engineering

ACADEMIC STATS::
UC Unweighted GPA: 4.0
UC Capped Weighted GPA: 4.19
UC Fully Weighted GPA: 4.76
ELC (top 9% CA HS): N/A (Homeschooled)

Comments about course load (including senior year):
Number of a-g courses: 37
Number of UC approved Honors/AP/IB or DE courses: 1 honors; 21 DE

In-State

3 Likes

definitely not easier for OOS students

This is the transfer data to UCSB cs/ engineering major for Fall 2022.

1 Like

It’s strange that Mechanical Engineering isn’t listed in this transfer data at all. I wonder why? Am I missing something?

1 Like

CCS results out!!!

3 Likes

Last year D22 got Regents for UCSD, UCD, and UCSB. UCSD and UCD Regents notifications were in her portal along with the acceptance notifications. For UCSB she got a big blue envelope in the mail one week after her acceptance notifying her of the Regents Scholarship (so that would be next week for you guys). Good luck!

1 Like

can you share the link for the chart you pasted into your comment? I’d like to see the admit rate and yield rate. I am really stumped b/c my kid was rejected. Film studies major. Stats:
Unweighted GPA: 4.00 Weighted GPA: 4.42 Weighted and Capped GPA: 4.33, SAT 1500 (though I realize they don’t look at them), strong EC’s (president of 3 clubs, including 2 community service ones), NHS, 4 year soccer team (JV captain, varsity), worked summers at camp, professional actor, theater, etc.

1 Like

The admit rates information that @sfbayareaForUC posted for Engineering was for UC Transfers from community colleges. This information is not applicable to Freshman admits.

The overall admit rate for the College of Letters and Sciences for 2022 was 27%. Since they do not admit by major, admit data for each major is not available. For Freshman Engineering applicants, the College of Engineering admits by major and some data is available on specific programs website.

For Transfers, they are admitted based on UC Transfer GPA and major as seen on the screenshot posted.

If you want UC transfer information for Film studies at UCSB, then here is the link and you filter by campus: Transfers by major | University of California

I do not want to divert this discussion regarding Transfer data so if there are specific Transfer questions, it would best to start a new discussion.

1 Like

Where are the CCS decisions? Email? USCB portal? CCS portal?