UC Santa Barbara Class of 2027 Official Thread

Thanks for the info. My son’s UC GPA is different from his Cal State GPA and his California high school GPA. I think it is as follows: UC GPA 4.21, Cal State GPA 4.17, CA High School GPA 4.52.
Do they look at all three? He’s taken 11 APs, but from what I understand, Cal State and the UCs only factor in eight of them.

Cal states only calculate 8 semesters of AP’s for their capped weighted CSU GPA which is the same for the UC capped weighted GPA. The UC’s also consider the Uncapped UC GPA which would take into all AP classes taken 10-11th if it is more than 8 semesters.

If you have a copy of his transcript, you can calculate all 3 UC GPA’s so you have the correct information.

I got admitted into the Mathematical and Scientific Computation program at UC-Davis yesterday, do I still have a solid chance at Statistics and Data Science in SB? My application is well rounded in terms of Math and Computer Science.

1 Like

Yes, you have a chance but remember all UC’s review applicants independently. Best of luck.

1 Like

Thank you. I heard from friends that if you get rejected from Davis, LA and Cal is going to accept you, and vice versa. Could that statement be true, even though you said all UC’s review applicants independently?

1 Like

UC’s tend to be unpredictable so there are many different admission results for applicants.

Several factors and variables can influence selection. What is most important to know is that selection looks different at every campus!

• Selection can even look different from year to year for the same campus.
• Things like enrollment capacity (campus size impacts how many students can enroll) and enrollment targets for each campus are factored into selection.
• Campuses use multiple factors when selecting students and the way campuses select students varies.
• It is to the student’s advantage to include as much information as possible on the application.
• Every student is considered in the context of their own environment which includes, but is not limited to, school, family and geographic region.
• Students are also considered within the context of the applicant pool for each campus.
• Each campus will complete their own individual review of the application independently of one another, which means that they’re going to review the information in the application and select students without asking what the other campuses have decided.
• Each campus selects students independently.

3 Likes

Last year my daughter’s friend was accepted to Davis, UCSD, and Cal. Another was accepted to Davis and UCLA, and one more accepted to all three of Davis, UCLA, and Cal. So…that does not seem to be true.

Hi Edward, Great letter. Thanks for sharing. Did you send the note to the Office of Admissions at UCSB? Was there a specific person?

Thanks!

13 posts were merged into an existing topic: Proposed Munger Hall (4,500 student dorm) controversy

@Gumbymom Do you know if there is a similar chart with admission to ucsb by major ?

1 Like

I have not found a chart for UCSB admission information by major other than what @gauchoengineering had posted for some of the Engineering majors however I have not checked each majors website. I have admit data by from the UC Counselor Conference by College.

College of L&S admit rate 27% with an average Uncapped UC GPA of 4.40
College of Engineering admit rate of 22% with an average Uncapped UC GPA of 4.52
CCS admit rate of 21% with an average Uncapped UC GPA of 4.37.

2 Likes

Will UCSB consider me for Alternate Major(Pre Statistics and Data Science), if i don’t get in for my first choice Engineering Major? Data Science is an impacted major in most of the UC’s

Data Science is in the department of Statistics and Applied Probability in L&S at UCSB.

From the Alternative Majors FAQ:

If space does become available in my first choice major in the College of Engineering, will I be automatically considered?

Yes, for freshmen only. If your first choice major was one in the College of Engineering and a space in that major becomes available, you will automatically be considered for that major. There is no need to submit a request to change your major back into that first choice major. You will be notified if a space does become available and you’re offered a spot.

1 Like

As noted by @lkg4answers yes, UCSB will consider your alternate major.

1 Like

How are people getting 4.5+ Uncapped GPAs? The average HS student does 8 classes a year hence 32 classes in total. Assuming they ace the AP and non-AP classes they’d have to do more than 50% of those 32 classes (i.e. 16+) as AP classes.

UC GPAs only include 10th & 11th grade.

1 Like

The UC GPA calculation can include summer classes after 9th through summer prior to 12th. Many Community colleges have 2 summer sessions so students might be able to crank out another 4 classes each summer.

1 Like

Sure. But that is for capped GPA, I was referring to uncapped GPA.

Is that really the standard for most HS in the US? 8 full year courses seems like so many. Is a class period only like 45 minutes? Or is that with an assumption that students take 1 or 2 community college classes per year on top of a regular high school? That can’t be true on average. I’m not saying you are wrong — just that I have seen the “32” in a few threads recently and it seems high to me.

If some high schools have opportunities to take both honors and AP classes as much as a student wants in both 10th and 11th grades, you could get to a 4.5 by having half your classes be for an honors point. So say you have 6 courses in your schedule per year like at our HS. If you took 3 APs in 10th and 3 more in 11th, that’s going to get you to 4.5 in those two years, assuming you earn As in everything. However, your Capped/Weighted would obviously be lower since only 8 semesters’-worth could get the points. In our HS it would be unusual to have that many honors-level classes as a 10th grader. But in other schools not so much. Whenever I see GPAs that high I assume it’s a school that offers “honors” level everything. Admissions officers/colleges know what your school does and looks like and considers it all in context.

1 Like

I’m taking 6APs and 3cc courses each sem right now, with 3CC courses over the summer, if a student hates themselves enough 4.5 is a target within reach

1 Like