UC Santa Barbara Freshman Class of 2026 Discussion

Especially after all the waitlists last week. Count down is on for tomorrow. Here’s to lots of acceptances!

12 Likes

Praying

4 Likes

Appreciate them saying exactly when to eliminate all the speculation!

11 Likes

I am not sure this is true … my D (who is a junior at UCSB) was admitted as a psych & neuroscience major. Maybe UCSB changed their approach since then?

1 Like

Not sure what you are referring to in your post. Regarding admit by major? The College of Letters and Sciences does not admit by major meaning applicants are not selected based on major but the major selected on the UC application is the major that UCSB will state on the acceptance letter. You are however not locked into that major.

From the UCSB website:

* College of Letters and Science: Choice of major is not considered and a supplemental application is not required except if you’re applying to dance or music performance majors, which require applicants to complete an audition in late January or early February.

1 Like

Is it correct that UCSB has significantly less seats in CS than other UCs? UCSB CS page has enrollment as 583 (presumably all 4 year total ) while other UCs each seem to total ~2000 ?

1 Like

Yes, the College of Engineering as a whole is small in comparison to other UC’s.

2 Likes

Well, time to give up on UCSB :slight_smile:

For 2021, UCSB had 617 students enrolled in CS or Comp Eng majors and 1060 in the other Engineering Disciplines

2 Likes

Does UCSB consider an alternate major?

Yes, only for the College of Engineering if the alternate major listed is in the College of Letters and Sciences.

2 Likes

Awww… it’s a poem! That’s really cute.

3 Likes

Have u noticed if you are penalized for not staying a major under the school?

Are you referring to going Undeclared or an alternate major?

Since you are interested in CompE, here are some #s. For 2021:

• applicants - 2079
  • admits - 396 (19% admit rate)
  • enrolled - 59 (14% yield)
  • Average enrolled GPA: 4.41 (uncapped, I hope)

Good luck!

2 Likes

Do you have the same stats for CS?

Unfortunately I don’t. The department of computer engineering very helpfully posted the above data on their departmental site.

1 Like

I did undeclared college of Letters and Science.

1 Like

https://bap.ucsb.edu/institutional-research/new-student-profiles/freshmen-applicants

Is “Avg Admit GPA” UC uncapped GPA? For example, it shows “4.20-4.54” on mouse cursor over “4.36” at 2021.

You will not be penalized for listing your major as Undeclared. Now if you want to switch in the College of Engineering, then there will be issues.