UC Santa Cruz Class of 2027 Official Thread

OOS WA
3.8 GPA UW
4.0 GPA in her Running Start program (junior and senior years of HS are taken at the local community colleges for full credit)

2 Likes

My Kid #1 got accepted to cog sc. as well. #3 ECON. I am told that at least 12 kids (off 100+) in their school got accepted. Which I thought was a lot!

3 Likes

OOS Admitted
Utah

Major: Biology

Unweighted GPA: 3.85
Weighted GPA: 4.0

APs - Psychology, Biology, English Literature, AP environmental Science, AP Physics, scored 5s on two and 4s.

Extracurriculars: Long term intensive activities - Equestrian 10 years, XC running track Varsity since 6th grade, Volunteered and worked at nature preserve since 6th grade, Percussion for 8 years. Poetry awards as well as national equestrian awards.

PIQ: Every person has a creative side, and it can be expressed in many ways: problem-solving, original and innovative thinking, and artistic, to name a few. Describe how you express your creative side. Think about an academic subject that inspires you. Describe how you have furthered this interest inside and/or outside of the classroom. What would you say is your greatest talent or skill? How have you developed and demonstrated that talent over time? Beyond what has already been shared in your application, what do you believe makes you a strong candidate for admission to the University of California?

She did one on the her interest biology from a young age tied and related to brine shrimp science experiments and into her high school experience, one about her interests in personality types and how it is her greatest skill as she can assess people’s personality, she wrote a poem for one to demonstrate her creativity (which is frowned upon by the “experts”). She wrote one on how being on a UC campus will help her understand the world better and visiting the UCSC Seymour center when she was very young. She received no help with PIQs other than parents reading. They were authentically her.

Supplemental/Augmented Review: No

State/location of HS: UT
Applied for need-based financial aid? No
First Generation? No

I have a question for the group. Does UCSC award anything to offset the out of state tuition. How many OOS students get any tuition offset? I know my daughter received this from other states just wondering about it. She wants to go to UCSC but if we don’t get something I am not sure she can go.

3 Likes

My daughter was accepted to the scholars program for cognitive science major too. Honestly, they had me at banana slug.

3 Likes

Not really. UCs are expensive from OOS. A few merit scholarships are given, but the amount is typically not very large. What is your budget? You may wish to start a new thread to discuss your budget constraints and the schools your D has applied to.

Congratulations on your D’s admission!

Congrats to your daughter! Was she admitted just now or yesterday?

2 Likes

yesterday

2 Likes

congrats !!
you got the decision feb 27 ?

1 Like

oh sorry yes the 27th

2 Likes

Decision: accepted on 2/27 and committed
Merit scholarships awarded (if any): none
Major (and division if applicable) applied to: sociology
ACADEMIC STATS
UC Fully Weighted GPA: 3.4

Comments about course load (including senior year): one ap class and mostly honors
Number of a-g courses: ?
Number of UC Approved Honors courses: 5
AP courses/exams (scores in parentheses): 4 (no scores)
IB courses/exams (score in parentheses): none

SUBJECTIVE::
Extracurriculars: ran HOSA club senior year, biology internship
Job/Work Experience: had two jobs junior and senior year and worked all summer
Volunteer/Community service: animal shelters, camp counselor

Personal Insight essays (details): one on my experience being in a military family, one on how social media can affect a young persons view of themselves and how fashion inspires me to avoid that cycle, one on traumatic event and how i overcame that, and one on how my perspective from moving all across the US my whole life would enrich the campus

Supplemental/Augmented Review: no

DEMOGRAPHICS::
State/location of HS (if domestic applicant): out of state (connecticut)
Country (if international applicant): US
Applied for need-based financial aid? yes
First Generation? no

(probably just got in from my essays and me being out of state since my stats aren’t strong at all!)

6 Likes

anyone accepted in computer engineering?

Computer Science yes.

1 Like

UC offers no OOS scholarships except for truly exceptional kids.

congrats!
yeah i didn’t see any comp engineering acceptance posted

D accepted in Comp. Eng.

1 Like

congrats!!
are you in state ?
what were her stats?
thanks

Thank you.
Yes, in-state
UW: 4.0/ WC: 4.38

2 Likes

My daughter loves the banana slug too. There are some funny fight song renditions on youtube.

1 Like

My DD23 got accepted at computer engineering.
4.0 UW/ 4.68 W
Robotics team EE lead, math team captain, 12 AP total include senior year.
In state student

7 Likes

Congrats! Did she get her acceptance on 2/27 or are they issuing more decisions today?

1 Like