UC Santa Cruz Class of 2027 Official Thread

Thanks so historically everyone gets accepted at the proposed biology major and then they have to earn the spot? Is that right? Is it difficult to get a spot in the degree you asked for?

Apparently decisions are out!! I got admitted!

3 Likes

S23 was waitlisted for Marine Biology. We are very upset. This was his top choice school.
UCW: 4.13
UCUW: 3.96
Strong leadership ECs - Eco club leader, robotics captain, founded and led school marine science club, volunteer at Scripps Birch Aquarium, took pre-college marine bio course with Cornell and received A and college credit, a couple of APs and honors classes (school has very limited number that can be taken)
4 year varsity golf
Great PIQs in my opinion
Accepted to CSLB, University of Washington, University Oregon, Oregon State, U. Hawaii Manoa

2 Likes

I have linked the Biology declaration requirements: UCSC General Catalog - Biology B.S.

https://www.eeb.ucsc.edu/academics/undergrad/major-qualification/index.html

Each major will have different qualification requirements.

1 Like

@gumbymom thanks
That’s a dealbreaker , u need first to get in the college impacted major (uc application) and then go thru this again?
so do all other Colleges (UC and CSU) do this?
i know of SDSU doing this .

I was waitlisted for film and digital media. Overall puzzled but I remain hopeful for a future admission offer :,)

We are also waitlisted for Comp Sci

UC GPA 3.92
High School GPA: 3.6 UW / 4.1 W
Decent essays, good extra curriculars and leadership, varsity sport
9 APs, 2 Honrs, 4 yr PLTW - Engineering, p/t job

1 Like

Ah she is in the BA Biology

DS waitlisted.
UCW: 3.92
Good ECs.
Accepted: Northeastern, SLO, CU Boulder, Indiana, and others, with scholarships.

Congrats! I know you’ve been waiting on this one. Great news.

No, not all colleges UC/CSU will have a pre-major or proposed major. Most of these pre-majors/proposed majors which require a secondary admission are not ultra competitive. For SDSU example, my son only needed a 2.0 in his pre-req courses to officially declare the major. Definitely look at each school’s requirements.

1 Like

Waitlisted. What a competitive season is all I have to say. D23 has a 4.0-capped UC GPA. She applied for business economics. But it does not mention this in the waitlist message. Do others have a waitlist message that lists their major?

What major?

D23 in for Political Science. This is a big deal to her since she was waitlisted for UCD.
4.3 Weighted
3.9 Unweighted
40 Dual Enrolled Junior College Credits
Cheer, Soccer, and Volunteer Work
Part-time job

She is so excited.

2 Likes

Waitlisted by UCSC but accepted to UCM, UCD, and UCR.

UC GPA: 4.3
Major: History

Disappointed… people with significantly lower gpas have gotten in. Very confused

2 Likes

Every UC has a different need. A key thing is geographical diversity. So if many people from your school apply to Santa Cruz it’ll be harder for you to get in then if a few people applied from your school to Davis

2 Likes

Every UC review the application differently.

1 Like

Maybe being a history major, they yielded you for schools like UCD, UC Irvine, UCSB, etc., with that high of a GPA.

1 Like

@Gumbymom may have already posted this information, but if you know and when you have a chance, what was the waitlist movement like last year?

son accepted into regents scholarship 5k annual

8 Likes