UC Santa Cruz for Computer Science

How good is CS at UC Santa Cruz? I know UCSC is a lower ranked UC, but how bad is it. Nobody seems to want to go there, but it can’t be that bad, can it? Obviously it is not on par with UCLA and UCB, but is it on par with UCI and UCD?

How bad is it? Really?

What are your other options?

They have an outstanding CS program.

What I meant is that there is not much talk about UCSC, yet alone the CS program. Mostly you hear about CS at UCD, UCLA, UCB, UCSD, and UCSB. I did not realize their program was outstanding. My other option is UIUC, but I am considering UCSC as my cost of attendance would be much lower. I do like the campus, but I am just not sure how reputable the CS program is.

UIUC has a very well known computer science program, if you like the school. But you’ll find UCSC alums at any big tech firm. It helps that it is located close to the Silicon Valley, making it possible to intern even during the school year. The campus’ game design major is very well known.

One of my best friends earned a BA in CS from UCSC, and received interviews at Microsoft and Amazon before choosing to work for Cisco right out of college. Another friend with a BS in CS chose to work at a start up, and recently became Rich with a capital R when it was acquired.

It comes down to building a resume that demonstrates your skills both in and out of the classroom.