UC Santa Cruz Freshman Class of 2027 Waitlist/Appeal Thread

Definitely housing for waitlisted admits should be addressed. As far as I know, depending upon the current housing situation, it may not be guaranteed but I would contact housing if admitted off the waitlist.

1 Like

D23 got waitlisted

Waitlisted at UCSC, what will be the chance at UCR?

I understand that UCR is as good as UCSC in term of academic. But when you look at freshman stats of GPA at UC website , UCSC is a little higher than UCR. I just keep my hope on UCR since I do not want to send my son OOS even they are good schools too.

UCR had a late admit wave last year around March 23. Keeping fingers crossed.

1 Like

DS got alternate major of technology and information management instead of preferred major CS. He is gutted.

Do not see a direct mention of rejection(or in waitlist) for the preferred major in email and portal.

Does this mean that my son is in waitlist for his preferred major CS and stand a chance if the waitlist clears up or it is rejection for his preferred major since he got admitted to his alternate major.

No, he was admitted into his alternate major.

He cannot change to the CS major due to impaction nor can be ask to be placed on the waitlist for CS.

From the UCSC website:

Admission to the Computer Science majors (B.A. and B.S.) is selective. The Computer Science majors at UCSC are impacted and in order to pursue either of these majors, students must have been admitted to UCSC as a proposed Computer Science Major. Students not admitted as proposed Computer Science will not be able to pursue either of these majors.

If CS is his top choice major, he needs to look at the schools where he has been accepted as a direct admit.

S23 also got admitted to this alternate major. It is a strong program but individual preferences vary.

S23 was waitlisted - CS. Deadline to submit interest to remain on waitlist for UCSC is 3/22. Wondering why they’re asking for decision so early (has this been their normal practice - a week after decisions have gone out?). I just find it strange since other schools have yet to release decisions and I would think it would be more logical to have the kid know where he/she stands on all the schools they applied to then decide which waitlist offers to accept. As an example, waitlist offer deadline for UCD is 4/15 so by then surely every school has released results. Just find it really strange because with a 3/22 deadline, I would assume there might be an inflated rate of those accepting their waitlist offers?

There is no disadvantage in opting into the waitlist regardless of deadline. A student can be on multiple waitlists so if they have an interest in attending UCSC submit your name. You can always withdraw if more desirable acceptances are posted.

Thanks. Understand that the student can be on multiple waitlists; just didn’t understand the advantage/disadvantage of why UCSC’s deadline was so early - it’s on the school’s side surely, just don’t know what. Of note, my DS did accept the waitlist offer. Just went back in to see if he could withdraw if he did receive a more desireable acceptance elsewhere however there wasn’t a withdraw option. I guess that one would just have to email admissions directly in order to withdraw?

Yes, you can email to withdraw if there is no option on the portal.

1 Like

Maybe they are trying to weed out kids who have already gotten decisions to UCD, UCSB (March 21), Cal Poly, who knows?

2 Likes

Some hope then. Do you know what major, oos or instate ? My D is hoping for engineering so not sure if less chance

She was psych major in state nor cal

1 Like

Are there any other waitlists out there that applied as a Marine Bio major? If so, what other college do you think you/your child might attend if UCSC doesn’t work out, and why (if you don’t mind responding)? My S23 is having a tough time deciding between his accepted colleges now that UCSC is a highly unlikely option. He is going to the admittance days for all of them which will probably help with his decision, but just curious what others with the same major have as preferences.

Waitlisted and not looking forward to tomorrow.

Any thoughts on transfer pathways in molecular bio/other related type majors? I read through information on UC site, but curious about opinions and experiences
s23 is pushing on traditional first year in campus experience and can’t tell If pathways might be a little faster than tag?
will have around 18 ap class credit hours (though total is all, not just stem)

A UC Transfer Pathway is a standardized major preparation plan for a transfer student who intends to major in one of the ten majors included in the initial effort, regardless of which UC campus or campuses to which the student applies.

The student still should TAG to an eligible UC so they have a guaranteed admission. Without TAG and just doing the Transfer Pathway will not guarantee admission to any UC, it just gives the applicant a course plan to meet the transfer pre-req’s.

1 Like

We don’t have to email a LOCI correct? I know some UC’s don’t encourage but I don’t know about ucsc

1 Like

No LOCI. None of the UC’s consider an applicants level of interest.

1 Like

My D23 was waitlisted for a Biology major. I know the rate varies every year, but what is the good chance to get off the waitlist for a Biology major this year? I’m just not sure if it’s worth waiting and keeping our hopes up to get off the waitlist at this point. Thank you always for your good advice!