UC Santa Cruz to UC San Diego Transfer

I just had some questions about course equivalencies because I went to UC Santa Cruz last year, and I am attempting a transfer to UCSD from foothill college this year.

There is a CSE articulation sheet between UCSD and UCSC, but most of the courses are outdated for Santa Cruz and have not been offered for some time now.

I wanted to see if CSE 20 at UC Santa Cruz, transferred to CSE 8B at UCSD. Also if CSE 30 from UC Santa Cruz, transferred to CSE 12 at UCSD.

Looking at the syllabus of CSE 20 and CSE 8B the topics covered look to be pretty identical.

Additionally, looking at the assist foothill has two computer science courses which fulfill CSE 12 at UCSD which also fulfill CSE 30 at UC Santa Cruz.

I was wondering if you knew anything about the equivalency between the classes or if there was someone in the department that could possibly help determine the equivalencies.

Thank you for your time!

UC says it compares syllabi so what you’ve done is essentially similar to what they do. And additionally seeing that ASSIST effectively treats them as equivalent (2 things equal to a 3rd thing are equal to each other) is further evidence. Unfortunately UC does not give a pre-read on transfer credit so there is unlikely to be someone at UCSD to ask in advance although an anonymous call to the CS dept at UCSD to ask is always an option; at worst they can just repeat the policy.

A bit orthogonal to your question, but even though UCSD is where you’d like to go I hope you are making contingency plans to continue your education just in case. If you’re eligible then TAG offers an admission guarantee to a UC campus although UCSD does not participate. See https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/_files/documents/tag-matrix.pdf The deadline is the end of this month.

Among other factors for TAG you need to take 30 semester units at your CCC by the end of this academic year to be eligible. You should be taking this many units in order to be considered a CCC transfer at UCSD so that you’re not considered a UC transfer.

1 Like

Make sure that you carefully read the UCSD website for CSE. It is an impacted major and seats are limited, so make sure you follow all of the procedures for transfer.

CSE Capped Major Process | Computer Science.