UC Santa Cruz vs ASU Barrett for Computer Engineering

My son got accepted into ASU Barrett computer engineering and also at UC Santa Cruz. Which of these offers a better computer engineering program?

Define better?

Which campus did he like better?

Which school is a better fit? ASU is larger as a campus but won’t have the housing issues of Santa Cruz.

Which is less expensive?

Which has a curriculum he likes best?

There’s not better - there’s better for your son - and you need to decide which is better for him.

Now one thing that may be better (but may not matter for Computer) is - ASU is ABET accredited in the major. It does not appear UCSC is. Now if it was Mechanical, that would be a huge deal. I’m not sure in regards to computer engineering. So if it were me, I’d lean toward ASU - but I thought that even before I looked at ABET. ASU has a full and complete engineering school. And ASU is without the housing issues/expense of UCSC. But that’s just my opinion - it doesn’t mean it’s right for you.

Career Outcomes

In 2021, at UCSC (I don’t see 2022 data), their dashboard shows 28% employed, 31% in grad school, 36% still seeking and 5% other. I’m sure that’s old data as 36% won’t be seeking anymore. 67% of the salaries were $70K or more with 38% of that 67% at $90K or more. Of course, salaries will depend on where you’re living.

ASU says of engineering (not computer) that 81% are employed within 90 days of graduation and 18% are in school…the median salary is $69K - but so 50% are $70K-ish and more vs. 67% at UCSC - but that’s likely impacted by location. And that’s all engineers.

Why don’t you contact both departments in the AM - and ask for career outcomes.

My hunch would be that ASU places better - but I’d ask for the info.

But in reality - I don’t know which is best and both will be great. What matters is - which is best for your student.

Good luck.

First Destination Survey Dashboard (ucsc.edu)

Fulton Schools bachelor’s degree graduate outcomes - Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering (asu.edu)

1 Like

Thanks for the response. He likes both campuses. We are from California so have in-state fee but he got scholarship at ASU. So fees wise, its almost a wash.

Hence its difficult to decide. I think it depends which one has better placement for internships and jobs. UCSC is closer to Bay area where there are most tech companies

Location today has near zero to do with who is getting jobs and internships. And btw - ASU is a top 10 Silicon Valley employer. UCSC isn’t…but that might be size of the school.

Normally with engineering, you need ABET. ASU has and UCSC doesn’t…but I don’t know if that matters in computer engineering.

Today - jobs are found on linkedin/indeed/handshake. My son is graduating Friday…he had 20 interviews and 5 offers. Only one company did he meet (they flew him in) - the rest - all on line from interview to offer and even to starting the job…so the location of the school shouldn’t be a factor - in my opinion.

I find it hard, as an ASU alum and having spent time in Santa Cruz, that he could like both equally.

Again, I would not assume on outcomes. I would get them from each school. From what they publish, I’d lean ASU. Plus the ABET thing - if it was Mechanical instead of computer - would be a no brainer but I just don’t know if it matters as much.

And then UCSC has a housing shortage.

ASU would be the safer pick - i’ll say that.

Good luck whatever he decides.

There’s 299 ABET Accredited Computer Engineering int he US. These are the schools from Arizona and California. For safety, I’d choose one of these.

School Name City State
Northern Arizona University Flagstaff Arizona
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University - Prescott Prescott Arizona
Arizona State University Tempe Arizona
The University of Arizona Tucson Arizona
California State University, Bakersfield Bakersfield California
California State University, Chico Chico California
University of California, Davis Davis California
University of California, Davis Davis California
California State University, Fresno Fresno California
California State University, Fullerton Fullerton California
California State University, East Bay Hayward California
University of California, Irvine Irvine California
University of California, Irvine Irvine California
California State University, Long Beach Long Beach California
University of California, Los Angeles Los Angeles California
University of Southern California Los Angeles California
University of Southern California Los Angeles California
California State University, Northridge Northridge California
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona Pomona California
California Baptist University Riverside California
University of California, Riverside Riverside California
California State University, Sacramento Sacramento California
California State University, San Bernardino San Bernardino California
National University San Diego California
San Diego State University San Diego California
San Francisco State University San Francisco California
San Jose State University San Jose California
California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo San Luis Obispo California
University of California, Santa Barbara Santa Barbara California
Santa Clara University Santa Clara California
University of the Pacific Stockton California

Thanks Much. Appreciate your feedback and details.

Good luck

One last thing and I’m not a ranking guy - but US News rates ASU in the top 30 nationally for undergrad computer engineering.

UCSC is not ranked. ASU is also a much larger program so if you don’t like that, it might not work for you.

Also College Factual writes this about each - whether or not it’s accurate I can’t say as it’s 3rd party:

#10 Far West (CA/OR.WA) - There were roughly 106 computer engineering students who graduated with this degree at UC Santa Cruz in the most recent year we have data available. Students who receive their degree from the CE program earn an average of $75,207 for their early career.

#3 in Southwest (TX/NM/AZ) - There were roughly 413 computer engineering students who graduated with this degree at ASU - Tempe in the most recent year we have data available. Degree recipients from the computer engineering program at Arizona State University - Tempe get $10,332 more than the average college graduate in this field shortly after graduation.

2022-2023 Best Undergraduate Computer Engineering Programs | US News Rankings

I think he can do well at either; the outcome is going to depend more on how much work he puts into difficult classes and whether he takes the time to look for internships. Few colleges (exceptions are places like Northeastern) get involved all that much in internship or coop placement.

ABET is unimportant since few working in industry in electronics or computing bother to get (or need) a PE license. ABET is crucial for areas where you need to be a licensed PE such as civil engineering, power engineering, etc. Even if you don’t have to be a PE, programs in older engineering areas like ME and EE generally do get ABET approved though.

Both schools offer a 5 year BS/MS and I think he should seriously consider this. With one extra year in school you get a MS which not only leads to a somewhat higher starting salary, it offers a 5th year in which you take classes to learn in more depth about the specific area you are entering.

On the academic plan at https://undergrad.soe.ucsc.edu/sites/default/files/curriculum-charts/2022-09/CMPE_22-23.pdf you can see they offer 4 concentrations. The ASU plan is at https://degrees.apps.asu.edu/major-map/ASU00/ESCSEBSE/null/ALL/2022 and they don’t list concentrations although they do show 4 upper-division electives to be taken senior year so perhaps one could effectively put together a concentration; something he ought to ask the undergrad advisor about.

Personally, I’d go for the Barrett Honors College at ASU. I visited with my 11th grader 2 weeks ago and there we’re a TON of CS students at the Open House Day we attended. We toured Barrett and though the dorm set up was good and liked the fact that students had close access to professors and admin right in their building. They also have their own cafeteria, and coffee shops. It made a very large campus so of feel smaller and more manageable. I’d use YouTube to see about any difference in the program itself. If you have an outgoing kid that enjoys sports and working out there’s that, a ton of study abroad opportunities, clubs, Greek life, intramural sports…

Good luck to you both!

1 Like

Thanks - I wasn’t sure if ABET matters for computer engineering. It definitely matters for mechanical - my son said so many of the job descriptions note it’s required.

Thanks for clarifying. ASU certainly seemed safer because of it but glad you chimed in.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.