UC transfer credits out of HS

my kid, like most people reading here, is anxiously awaiting all the UC decisions. So far so good, a thumbs up from UCD (CS major).

Question: how many credits can he transfer to a UC school? Is it different depending on the school?
He’s going to wind up with 10 AP classes and presumably credits (Biology, Chem, USH, Eng 11, Eng 12, Gov, Phys C/M, Phys C/EM, Calc B/C, CompSci, MicroEconomics). All 4’s and 5’s so far. He’s also taken 10 dual HS/community and/or community college classes (Symphonic Band, Chinese 1, Chinese 2, Chinese 3, Advanced Java, Advanced C++, Linux Scripting, Data Structures, Stats, Nutrition (Biology Breadth class), all As and all transfer-eligible to UCs.

How many of these are transferrable to say a UCD or UCB or UCLA? His goal is to graduate in 2 years , hahah.

Unfortunately his GPA isn’t so hot (UW 3.75, UC GPA 4.05, uncapped ~4.35 thanks to all his JC classes) but everything else is pretty good (1540 and 35 test scores) including essays and extra-curriculars, so we are on pins and needles on every decision (he applied to UC B/LA/SD/D/I/SB)

I’m in a similar situation. I attend an early college charter/public school and I have accumulated ~48 CC units (43 transferable, going to be 50 transferable after this semester). To my knowledge (asking a counselor at the community college), you have to be eligible for transfer/partial transfer to a UC (filling out the transfer requirements). It’s called IGETC at my community college, and requires college courses/units in several subject areas. I have not filled out/applied yet since I still am waiting on decisions, but that’s the pathway for me.

However, I highly recommend your kid to schedule an appointment with a counselor at his community college under “transfer to a 4 year public university” (or something similar) to make certain because the process may differ between schools and he can get a for-sure explanation by someone more knowledgeable. Wish your kid the best of luck!

I’m almost wondering if it’s worth it to just continue to go to his community college for one year and then try for Berkeley or UCLA as a transfer. He’s got everything in order except for the GPA, and since GPA is king, we’re more than worried he won’t get into those schools. Also, applying for a very competitive major in all the schools (CompSci) won’t help.

That’s honestly a good option if you choose to. Saves money and time too (he can possibly transfer to the university with his general education finished and possibly some major reqs if the uni allows it).