UC vs CSU System: Advantages the UC System Has

I wrote an article a while back that explained the benefits of the CSU system over the UC system. I was amazed to see that the article has gotten over 50,000 views and it is the first thing that comes up when CSU vs. UC is typed on Google. Because I’ve learned that the comparison between UCs and CSUs is a major question, here is an article that goes in depth about the benefits of the UC system. Please add any other pros and cons as I know this a question that has dozens of answers based off experience.

1. Prestige - This is the main benefit that most people think of when they compare UCs and CSUs. One benefit of attending a UC is that almost everyone from employers to Grad Schools will know about the UC campus you attended and how hard you worked to both get into it and to do well in the program whereas many may not recognize some of the CSU campuses.
  2. Graduate School - Going to a UC for an undergraduate degree prepares you better for a Master’s, PHD, or Med School, Law School, etc. because the UC teaching style is research based. This means that when you take classes at a UC, you’ll be taught more in-depth about the concepts of the course so you fully understand the material and remember it for say Grad School. CSUs on the other hand go more in-depth on teaching you how you will use the topic you’re studying in the work force because the CSU teaching style is more practical based as they expect students to get a job after they finish their Bachelor’s. Many UC campuses also offer the programs you want to attend right after your Bachelors such as a Law School, something you won’t find at CSUs. This is why it is very important to figure out what you believe you want to major in before you pick which university you attend. Many CSU and UC campuses are well-known for specific majors such as Accounting at CSU Northridge and attending a campus based off its well-known major is honestly more beneficial than attending the campus based off its well-known name.
  3. College Experience - UCs offer a better culture in terms of getting a college experience. The main reason is because the students who attend come in with the mindset of wanting a college experience because they are usually younger and were involved in high school. In addition, I also believe UC students feel motivated and pressured by the other students they see who are taking advantage of the opportunities offered and they want to be a part of it. This is actually a benefit because being involved brings dozens of benefits and you do not have to be a proactive person to find organizations that you’re interested in because there are so many active ones. Although you can get a great college experience at a CSU campus by joining campus organizations and taking advantage of the opportunities offered, you would have to be proactive and find which campus organizations are right for you at CSUs because very few students are involved at most CSU campuses because a majority of students commute.
  4. Competitive Culture - The competitive culture at UCs can be both a pro and a con. Because most UCs only accept top-tier students, you’ll be surrounded by people who will always do their best. On one hand, this is good because you will make many friends who have the same dedication as you and will push you. However, this can also be bad because you will be competing against people who are just as smart as you in classes that may be graded on a curve and this may lower your chance at the grade you want. At most CSU campuses, it will be harder to make friends who you could say study with before class because of the commuter aspect, but because most students don’t aim for that A in every class, but rather just aim at getting a degree, it will not be as competitive to get a high grade in the classes you want.

These are just the main points that come to mind when I think of benefits of the UC System. Here is my article that explains the benefits of the CSU system: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/california-state-university-general/1531670-csu-vs-uc-advantages-the-csu-system-has.html#latest and a website I started with the goal to help CSU and undecided students http://www.csuguide.com.

As I mentioned, please bring up any other pros or cons that you either know of or have experienced. I feel many students do not realize that picking which campus to attend and what to major in is one of the most important decisions you will make in your life and it is something that requires you to devote a lot of time and research.