****UCB Freshman Class of 2024 Discussion****

Admitted- College of L&S

Out of state (Tennessee)
Multiracial (Asian/white)
GPA UW: 3.89 (3.69 F, 3.98 S, 3.96 J, 4.0 first semester S)
ACT: 33 C (36 E, 27 M, 36 R, 32 S)
AP/Honors: No honors and not many APs at my school- APUSH (5), AP Spanish Lang (5), AP English Lit, AP Stat, AP American Gov
ECs: 9/10- Founder of multicultural group, founder of mental health group, published author, president of gender equity club, state leader in Model UN and YIG, member of honor council, mock trial (team is state ranked), political internships, captain of athletic team
Recs: 10/10- From English and Spanish teachers, both of whom liked me
Essays: 9/10- Was told they were strong, PM for more details

Accepted: UCB, Rice, Barnard, Scripps, Bryn Mawr (30k/year), GWU (19k/year), UCSD (5k), McGill (3k), St Andrews, UT Knoxville
Waitlisted: UVA, Emory
Rejected: Brown (ED), Georgetown, USC

@FlyTheW Yes, my DD received the berkeleybound envelope this afternoon. Was a terrific moment for her :slight_smile:

Would appreciate some perspective on two topics:

1. FPF - Sounds neat but costs an additional 2K. Worth it?
  2. Bowles Hall - Expensive but enticing. Am hearing both pros and cons.
    Thanks!

One last question - what options are available for freshmen who have a strong preference for a double room?

@2024CuriousDad i think FPF is a program to ease students into the challenges of college life by restricting (difficult) courses you’re allowed to take. if your high schooler has been taking APs and college courses, he may want to dive right into 2nd yr math (53/54/55) and other more advanced courses (like cs 61 series) which aren’t allowed in this program. also since most freshman admits choose the traditional path, you’re left with waitlist and spring admits in this program.

here’s an article by a berkeley student on this subject. https://www.dailycal.org/2017/10/08/woes-fall-program-freshman/

I’m going to re-post my question here since I didn’t get any responses previously. My daughter will be in L&S.

Do any current students/parents know whether Spring AP credits will be included in total units for Fall 2020 registration? My D20 currently has 29.6 units before her Spring AP results (30 units required for Soph standing). Should I have her try to find some sort of 1-2 unit online course that is on demand to try to get to 30 units? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

@KBTDPT there is no special advantage in getting to 30 units soph standing. you will not get registration priority or dorm preference if that’s what you’re wondering. in some cases like honor societies (e.g. TBP) requiring min gpa and junior standing, then yes you will be invited earlier.

yes UCs are taking the spring AP exam credits for fall 2020 admits according to this article. https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-04-01/uc-to-suspend-admission-requirements-for-sat-minimum-gpas-to-help-students-during-coronavirus-crisis

Thanks for the info. I poked around and finally found this:
“Enrollment appointments are determined by the number of semesters a student has completed at UC Berkeley; start dates and times are randomly generated.”

@sdhotmama,

Thanks for your reply :slight_smile: I’ll PM you

But just as a general question for anyone willing to answer: Should the competition at UCB be a part of my decision? My ultimate goal is to go to a good grad school for CS or EECS, but from what I’ve heard it’s hard to keep a high GPA at UCB and it’s harder to stand out against your peers at UCB career fairs (the main gateway to interviews and what not for internships and jobs). I really want to get a lot of experience and internships under my belt to buff up my resume for grad school, but I’m trying to figure out if UCB will help or not.

@sdhotmama Also it seems that as a junior member on CC, I can’t PM people. Can you try sending me a message? Thank you :slight_smile:

Anyone help to decide? I got the honors program and the regents (20k four years) and promise scholarship (16k two years) from UCI (1 hour away from home) and nothing from Berkeley (6 hours away from home). My major is pharmaceutical sciences at UCI and chemical biology from UCB. Where should I go? I also intend to double major CS if possible.

My daughter is waitlisted for EECS at Berkeley and accepted CS at UCLA and UW. If she gets off the waitlist from Berkeley she prefers going there over UCLA. However I read that Cal only guarantees housing for 1 yr vs UCLA for 3 yrs. What does that mean exactly?

What documents need to be submitted when sending the Update Form? This is for updating the university on Fall Senior yr grades and not meeting conditions of admission.

@west2east20 congrats on your daughter’s acceptances. even though berkeley only guarantees 1 yr housing, she can still apply for 2nd yr and if she does it early enough, she will likely get a housing offer. however, most students move out of dorms after one year to save some money.

warning: housing is expensive and difficult to find near campus, and they usually require a 1-yr lease even if you only need it for 9 mos.

@kiwibot - thanks for the FPF insights, very useful! About housing, do folks who request a double room usually get it?

@2024CuriousDad housing offers are done by lottery so it’s hard to say what you’ll get. if you prioritize the more expensive options at a less popular location (not southside) and submit a roommate profile, then you’ll have a higher chance of getting what you want. good luck!

I was recently accepted and submitted a class change form provided to me because I dropped my TA class during my second semester. Will this cause my admissions to be rescinded?

There is no way they will care about dropping a TA class in these circumstances!

My daughter is considering dropping her community college Physics class. The online format is challenging and with 5 AP classes online on different platforms it just isn’t working.

I am hoping universities will be understanding in these extraordinary times.

@2024CuriousDad My daughter (Class of '23) lives in Bowles and LOVES it. She’s bonded with a great group of friends, loves the community aspect of it and would definitely say it’s been a highlight of her experience at UCB. Happy to answer any questions you have.

@BearMama23 I PM’d you!!