*UCB Freshman Class of 2025 Waitlist and Appeal discussion*

I’m starting to think they had a high yield. I just read an article about how high demand was this year for UCs and I know my school had an extremly high yeild for Berkeley this year. I don’t want to use anecdotal evidence to make a generalization but that’s just what I’ve observed.

My D’s school had only 3 students accepted to UC Berkeley, but they all decided to go there. So a 100% yield (and, yes, this doesn’t say anything about the overall yield).

they have admitted few FPF already, and since FPF have their own separate classes, they need many more FPF students to fill those classes imo.

We are OOS, and don’t know how many were admitted from our HS during the regular round. In 2020, 16 got admission and 4 decided to attend. This year, 6 have accepted, and most likely UCB admitted less than 16. Several are waitlisted and waiting eagerly to get off.

But @ye2024 makes a good point about UCB having to create a reasonably sized FPF group. Please keep posting such positive thoughts!

It could also be that they are waiting to hear from Alameda County to determine housing capacity so are being slow now. Perhaps, the reason they admitted mostly Change Makers is that it has its own housing in the Mills College dorms. It seems from this board that there are only a few instate FPF. It could also be a combination of higher yield than normal given that this was a test optional year and those who were admitted, had higher chances of accepting. They could also be slow given the pandemic uncertainty. Cannot say.

Just to make sure that changemaker is a whole year program right? So I have to take their course for a whole yr if i get in?

You can select one class each semester at main campus for the first year. The director of Changemaker program is the former Dean of Business school.

You can find the curriculum here: Berkeley Changemaker: First Year Experience--Curriculum | Berkeley Changemaker

But, yes, you’re basically limited to the courses offered at the Mills location, which are designed to meet breadth requirements. As @eagler says, you can also take one course per semester on the main campus, including courses offered remotely (although there’s a chance, if it’s a remote class, you’ll also be able to take one in-person class).

The advantage of CM is that it’s basically a “honor’s college” environment in that you’re with a small cohort in small classes with courses reserved just for them (so no worries about over-enrolled courses).

CM obviously isn’t preferable for a lot of students, but for some it’s ideal.

Did anyone (on the discord maybe?) get a glitch or any news today?

AACCKKK! :weary:

No news today

Has any eng-intl gotten off the waitlist?

1 Like

I am so scared for my appeal decision

did anyone get appeal decisions yet??

Cal has a freshman retention rate of approx 96% (one of the highest in the nation btw). Using fall ‘20 as an example, that means they lost approx 247 of the 6,180 freshmen that initially enrolled. Programs such as FFP, Global Edge (previously) and now Changemaker exist to backfill those losses. Similar to to USC’s Trojan Transfer Program. It’s a win-win for Cal because they can admit more students than they have room for by delaying bringing them on campus, they can charge full board for a greatly reduced academic program, while also creating a guaranteed pipeline for sophomore year to fill their 4% shrinkage. Brilliant on their part.

hey did anyone get the Berkeley cyberattack email?

yes, along with UC entry level writing exam email. The exam was done on May 22nd.

I’m talking about the one that berkeley specifically sent yesterday, I’m not sure if they sent it out to everyone

please share a screenshot of it if you recieved it

i got it. it dosen’t mean much.