*UCB Freshman Class of 2025 Waitlist and Appeal discussion*

did anyone get accepted off of the waitlist, or did everyone get the same email?

I got the same email.

So they’ve mostly filled up FPF already?

I guess everyone is losing hope… IS TIME TO MOVE ON!!!

1 Like

It could be due to the housing situation. I heard that UCB is putting two students instead of three in most triple rooms in the dorms due to COVID restrictions, which can put a big strain on how many they can admit. So sad and damn unfair to those of us in the WL.

This from the UC Berkeley website:

Campus Housing for Academic Year 2021–22

Cal Housing expects to send housing offers to First-Year Students in mid-June. Housing offers are delayed as we wait for final approval on occupancy levels.

With UC Berkeley’s announcement of plans to return to primarily in-person instruction in fall 2021, Cal Housing looks forward to welcoming students to our campus residence halls and apartments in the coming year.

Capacity
In our residence halls, we plan to offer mostly double rooms, with some triple rooms and some single rooms. If you have been assigned to a triple room, you will have two roommates; if you have been assigned to a double room, you will have one roommate. We anticipate that campus apartments will continue to operate at their normal capacity for 2021–22.

However, occupancy levels are not yet confirmed and could be higher or lower, depending on public health guidance. We will update this website and send email communication to housing applicants and incoming residents as soon as there is new information available.

“mostly double rooms, with some triple rooms and some single rooms.”

Hopefully they get the greenlight to have the normal amount of students, as log as they are vaccinated.

That’s a mystery – whether they’ve filled up FPF. On this forum we only saw a tiny number – maybe 3 to 5 – of FPF admits, and the same goes for reddit. I don’t know what was reported on discord. So the question that we could not answer was how they would find a sufficient number of FPF students without getting a lot more off the WL, since FPF is a program by itself.

Can someone post a new discord link?

1 Like

@asfh23 could you please send the invite to the discord group?

FOR ALL THE CLASS OF 2026 WAITLISTERS!!

Our year was quite different than the previous years. We had 2 waves consisting of almost 90% In-State Changemaker kids.

Dates were Tuesday, May 10th (small but adequate) and Tuesday, May 24th (this one was super small).

The glitch is when the yellow box shrinks and the bear is only there and it always happens between 11 AM - 1 PM PST.

Our waitlist got extended from June 1st to June 30th (I anticipate that it will get extended even more cuz that is how Berkeley is).

The moral of the story is that do not depend on the Berkeley waitlist and don’t get your hopes up too high because they waitlisted quite a lot of kids after being test blind. No point holding any hope after the second wave is done.

The point that I want to make fully clear is: OPT INTO THE CHANGEMAKER PROGRAM IF YOU REALLY WANT TO GO TO UC BERKELEY (if you are instate you will most probably get in if you select this program).

Otherwise, it is okay if you do not get off the waitlist (I know it can be heartbreaking, but in reality, this school is quite competitive).

I myself was an out of state kid who opted into the changemaker and fpf program as an L&S Economics major, and of course, I did not get the result I anticipated.

It is still a great accomplishment getting waitlisted from this high caliber of a school, and regardless all of you guys will be fine and successful.

Reach out to me by replying to this or dm me on College Confidential/Discord if you have any questions about the waitlist or want me to read over your supplemental essay :slight_smile:

From,
asfh23#2810 (discord tag)

3 Likes

Does opting in for FPF make a difference? What about for out-of-state?

can waitlist students now enroll in these programs? fpf or changemaker? Can u share more info.

To clear up some confusion: I believe asfh23’s blurb was directed towards all the applicants next year who will get/got waitlisted, and essentially giving them a word of advice based on what happened this year to the waitlisted c/o 2025.

They’re saying that based on the results as of June 15th 2021, all the people who have gotten off the waitlist were in state for the Changemaker program, with very minor exceptions. We don’t know if opting into FPF will make a difference bcause this blurb was made prematurely (before June 30th) which is when Berkeley would get back to us. It is possible that another wave may come out for traditional pathway or FPF, but this user believes it is unlikely since there are two weeks left.

If there are no more waves within the next two weeks, then OP would be right. The only way to get off the waitlist at UC Berkeley (if we solely look at c/o 2025’s waitlist trends) was to opt into the Changemaker program.

So far, a very small amount of out of state students have gotten off the waitlist, with the large majority being in state. Once again, we don’t know if this geographical status makes a difference in the waitlist game due to the prematurity of the post.

No, you can no longer opt into the Changemaker of FPF program, as that form was due back in April when we opted into the waitlist.

tl;dr: asfh23’s post was directed towards future applicants looking back on this thread for information. For current waitlisted students, there are two more weeks until we hear from Berkeley. I suggest we wait for official information rather than speculation.

1 Like

" The point that I want to make fully clear is: OPT INTO THE CHANGEMAKER PROGRAM IF YOU REALLY WANT TO GO TO UC BERKELEY (if you are instate you will most probably get in if you select this program)."

To some extent, this is a reasonable statement. Keep in mind, though, the CM program, at least this year, is just 200 students. The WL has many thousands of students (typically 4,000 to 6,000), so if everyone opts in to CM, only a tiny fraction will be admitted into CM. Thus, it’s more accurate to say: “Opt in to the CM program if you want to increase your chances of being admitted from the WL. If you’re in-state, your chance of being admitted will be better than if you don’t.”

So disappointed in how CAL handing WaitList this year, it has been delayed again and again, without clear communication at all.
I have been regularly donating to CAL parent program for years, no anymore!

3 Likes

The Changemaker - Oakland program has officially moved to the UC Berkeley campus, rather than taking place on Mills College. I think it means there will be considerably less housing capacity on the main campus.

2 Likes

they should offer a no housing option, not everyone needs on-campus housing,

1 Like

Yes, Northeast University signed a deal with mill’s college to combine two college together. So Berkeley decides to move Changemaker program back to main campus.