*UCB Freshman Class of 2025 Waitlist and Appeal discussion*

What is your source? I don’t see anything about Changemaker moving to the main campus for this fall.
The statement by the Mills president says the merge is “proposed” and “in discussion”.

https://www.mills.edu/news/news-stories/new-alliance-announcement.php

1 Like

UC sent an email to all CM students informing then that they would all be housed at Berkeley and not at Mills.

2 Likes

Wow interesting and what great news for anyone in Changemakers

Lucked out

Yes, the email was sent to changmaker’s Berkeley email address. All moved to main campus.

Now changemakers students are able to join cal regularly or through FPF!!! Anyone else who’s part of the Changemaker program PM me bc idk what to do lol!!

1 Like

Only one week left

Changemakers were allowed to opt into either traditional or fpf, and the deadline to submit form is June 27. Since June 1 email to waitlists said official update on portal by the end of June, I’m assuming there are still spaces left for waitlists and will release between June 28-30. Spaces might be limited because cm moved to main campus, so good luck to everyone
祝好运 : )

even if something comes out in those 3 days theres no correlation between that form and future waitlist admits

1 Like

Changemaker students now have options to opt out the program. The first year on campus housing is not mandatory anymore, which means on campus housing is tight at main campus.

After reading all the post in the thread i feel my chance of getting off the waitlist as a applicant to engineering college is really low…anyone there get off the waitlist in the engineering college???

Nope I don’t believe anyone in CoE got off. Even if someone did, its over. Changemaker people lucked out hard and that messed with housing and with Covid, housing situation is just a mess. Love the college you are currently going to attend

1 Like

@Gumbymom In 2020 about a third of the students who accepted a spot on the waitlist were admitted to Cal. It looks like this year very few students are being offered spots off the waitlist. Do you think this is due to an apparent Freshman housing shortage caused by the UCB-Mills College housing deal (Changemakers) not happening at Mills because of the recently announced Northeastern and Mills alliance?

I believe it is a combination of things that have kept the waitlist admits low this year.

1. Deferrals from last year
  2. Increase in applications this year
  3. Housing issues due to Covid and then the Changemaker program at Mills falling through.

The schools have had many difficulties due to Covid last year and were cautious about the situation this year until they were given the green light to fully open. They were scrambling to keep up with all the changes throughout this past year and want to make sure they can offer housing, lectures/courses to all that enroll.

Again this is my understanding and perspective. Several UC’s closed their waitlists already and some did not admit any students or very few.
UC Davis, UC Santa Barbara and UC San Diego.

3 Likes

I thought I read that Berkeley did not allow for any deferrals from last year? It is entirely possible that I am confusing this with a different school.

Changemaker/Mills was a very recent development. I still can’t figure out why Berkeley extended the original time to accept a position on the waitlist if they already knew they wouldn’t need many waitlist students.

1 Like

Thank you! My daughter is very happy with the school she committed to. But I was wondering what happened with the UC waitlists and I appreciate your explanation!

1 Like

Normally none of the UC’s offer deferrals routinely (exception UC Davis) but these decisions are usually made on a case by case basis. Information from the 2020 UC conference did show data that the UC campuses offered deferrals to admitted students for Fall 2021. How many per campus was not always disclosed.

I do not work in admissions or have any connection to any of the UC campuses, so I do not have any specific insight on how the UC’s have handled admissions this year other than last year and this year have been unusual.

Waitlists in general should be considered a “rejection” and yes looking at previous year’s data does give applicants hope of possibly being admitted. My stance is that you move on and love the schools that love you back and if you happen to get off the waitlist, then it is just icing on the cake.

Who else got rejected? I expected it, but it sucks.

1 Like

rejected

I never thought I would end up posting on this thread but here I am ig. After a pretty underwhelming and quite frankly ludicrous college decision season, this is, in a way, a pretty fitting end. Even though some more transparency and communication from ucb would’ve been nice, I think that by extending their waitlist response so much it allowed all of us to come terms with the outcome that was expected (and to those that got in today well done!). I’ve been following this thread almost religiously since I got waitlisted and it was nice having a group of people in the same boat. I wish you all the best as your respective colleges and you will all do great. Enjoy the next 4. LDD out.

5 Likes