UCB vs UCD vs UCSD vs UCI?

<p>I’m the typical Asian kid who applied to the stereotypically Asian-dominated UC schools minus Riverside, so I bet someone will find this thread useful besides me… (sorry if I sounded racist)</p>

<p>I applied under bioengineering/biomedical engineering, so I’d like to ask for some opinions on the engineering schools at Cal, Davis, SD and Irvine. It’s so hard to decide and I just want some comments/warnings on the classes, class selection/availability, environment, people, food, housing, activities, etc. Specifically for me, I play badminton and I’m a music/marching band person. I also live in a city like Davis, except with lagoons and the SF bay instead of farming land and cows.</p>

<p>I’ve heard things like:

• UCSD is empty on weekends, no one’s on campus.
  • UCSD: The number of good-looking guys/girls is pitiful.
  • UCD: There’s nothing to do, besides smelling the cows.
  • UCB: It’s hard to really stand out.
  • UCI: UCI > UCD now? How and when did that happen??</p>

<p>I’m also planning to go to grad school (medical??), so which would not completely wreck my GPA? I’ve heard engineering majors don’t get very high GPAs to begin with…</p>

<p>I’m looking for comparative comments, because general comments (“UCB’s engineering is great!”) don’t tell me anything about one school vs. another.</p>

<p>THANKS!</p>

<p>Engineering majors, on average, do have a lower GPA, but a high GPA is still very do-able if you work hard. I go to Davis, and I'm an engineering major as well, so I can tell you here that pre-med is easy to do, even if you are an engineering major. They have a pre-med advising building which I've heard is very helpful, although I haven't gone. From what I've seen in my engineering classes so far, the competition is minimal, so a high GPA shouldn't be too bad. Let me know if you have any specific questions, good luck.</p>

<p>Well first off, did you end up getting into UCSD?</p>

<p>UCD: There's nothing to do, besides smelling the cows.</p>

<p>Hahahahahaha.</p>

<p>^^ Don't listen to stereotypes btw... If you sit in your dorm all day... yes... there is NOTHING to do. To get involved on campus, you have to get out at some point.</p>

<p>Nope, didn't get into UCSD. Oh well :( UCB's not looking to great either, but I find out next week.</p>

<p>I know that college only becomes boring if you let it, so that's the least of my worries. I'm wondering if it's a big deal to be in the biomedical engineering major at UCI or UCD? How about UCI biomed: premed vs UCD biomed?</p>

<p>I do plan to visit these schools before I decide, so what should I look for when I visit, especially details specific to each school?</p>

<p>Ok problem solved for UCSD then. </p>

<p>UCI is not > than UCD.</p>

<p>I personally call it a close call between UCI and UCD for premed/Bio and what not. I'll let Dmission give you the info on Pre-med at Davis.</p>

<p>UCI offers BME:Premed. But I think Davis is just as strong as Irvine. Irvine has lots of good looking people so you won't ever get bored! Its close to LA so you can always find friends to take you downtown. </p>

<p>Also, I DO NOT recommend Cal b/c of its hyper competetive atmosphere. A friend goes there and wants to go to med school but she has a horriblly killed GPA. She's a bio and french double major, currently. For med/grad school I would skip Cal...Go to one of the other UC's get a higher GPA and apply when you graduate !</p>