**ucb waitlist discussion for class of 2024**

@goosedawg thank you so much!!!

Why you shouldn’t choose FPF if you are pre-med?

@drbaba- it really depends on if your IS or OOS. I am oos and I have still yet to hear back from UCB but if I do get In I intend to do pre-med. However, it already is expensive as is for oos, and fpf costs an additional 2k. Also this may be a little biased, but I have heard lots of things on reddit and CC that pre-med at UCB is highly not recommended due to the grade deflation and the fact that resources are going to be hard to access with so much competition for them. Again this is just what I’ve seen and heard from people so take it with a grain of salt.

yea i would never go to ucb for premed haha. Comp sci and business are hella good there tho.

is there any biochemistry international student accepted?

Ik that the second wave will probably come out soon on Friday, but I just want to know if anybody could tell me if i have a chance (international engineering undeclared). I’m very happy about my current choice but I just thought berkeley would be a dream come true. Thanks and congrats to those who got in! Fight on to those whos still waiting like me!

Here is the lowdown of FPF -
FPF is part of Berkeley Extension. Berkeley Extension is a continuing education program. Berkeley Extension’s main office is located at 1995 University Ave, the same location as FPF. It is affiliated with UC Berkeley, but literally anyone can sign up and take classes through Extension.

FPF was created as a means to generate more income for the school, and also ensure that traditional pathway freshmen who withdraw after the first semester will be replaced by students (from FPF) in the Spring. Berkeley used to readily offer Spring admission for incoming freshmen, because they know that many freshmen in the fall will quit. Now, they have a way to predictably replace these students with the FPF program students, get full tuition and housing money from these students, AND get and extra $2000. It is basically a glorified spring enrollment. It is ingenious, really, for the school.

Don’t get me wrong: we accepted this pathway for my son. He will (hopefully) earn a degree from UC Berkeley, and he will participate in the Fall semester student experience of socializing, housing and activities (assuming it’s safe at that time). Just understand that by accepting FPF, you are accepting a one semester deferred academic enrollment. You might want to treat FPF class selection as if you were taking classes at a community college, and get some of the breadth requirements out of the way.

in FPF program, only a few courses could be selected. and for the coming fall semester, is it possible to have all remote distance learning? so what the difference between FPF and traditional except 2K more tuition?

Does anyone know the chances of OOS Public Health lol?

@yerbaddict No, I applied for L&S. Not really a big engineering guy, I just really enjoy math and theoretical physics (after a certain point they are pretty much the same haha), so CoE isn’t what I was looking for.

This helps me understand where FPF stands at Berkeley. It also explains why this program is not highly regarded.

How big are my chances as an international?

L&S
Major- MCB (premed)

I know everything is unpredictable right now. But could still use some thoughts :frowning:

Bless up!!! Just got in!!! In State, L&S

3.91 / 4.2
34 ACT

Isn’t it 5:40AM on Sunday in California?

What do you mean by “just”

@Garrett Chau- he prolly means he got in Friday.

@jaffa1 Any info yet?? Any Idea of what we should think lol?

I just looked through the FPF website, and to be honest, I don’t think it’s as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I’m planning to be an applied math and CS major and already have fulfilled all of my math prerequisites (multi, linear, discrete and differential) for my majors. Though I won’t be able to delve right into the upper level courses right away, I will actually be done with most of the breadth courses and requirements after the this semester, which I don’t think is a bad thing considering I’ll be in a new environment adjusting to many changes. It’s all about what you make of it. It’s definitely not a doom scenario in my opinion.

Plus everyone may be working online anyway, at least at some point in the semester and beyond

My family thinks FPF is great.

My son was accepted off the wait list in 2018 and was given the options of Global Edge or FPF. First wave, yes glitch, OOS, L&S. He spoke with an upperclassman from his high school about FPF-his friend advised him that his anecdotal information was all positive regarding the program. My son chose FPF and it turned out to be a great experience. He took great breadth classes and Math 16A from dynamic, caring and involved instructors. Each instructor knew him by name and he had many resources at his disposal. It was a great way to acclimate to a large school and my son continues to develop relationships with professors on main campus-even in much larger classes. Yes class offerings were limited, but he had plenty to choose from. He was anxious to start taking courses on main campus in the spring, but he values the personal attention he received through FPF.

Check this out–the writer’s experience was quite similar to my son’s

https://www.dailycal.org/2018/03/22/from-waitlist-to-a-list/